Estes 816 Wolverine clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13

Reaction score
I found the nosecone for this in my stash of rocket parts, so I figured it's time to clone it.

The plans are here:

https://www.spacemodeling.org/jimz/estes/est0816.pdf
I found a nice section of BT-50, cut it to 7.75 inches for the kit.

Printed out the fin patterns, use the PDF files to get the correct size.
I didn't the first time and ended up with some comically small fins.

Everything cut, sanded, and rounded:

kgCCgamh.jpg

Major construction on the Wolverine is done.

m816v5dh.jpg

I still need to find the pattern for the canopy. Years ago there was a web site that had things like the canopy patterns on it, but I can't find it.

I believe the scan that 5x7 linked to at YORP is the right size.
I don't remember resizing the scan before printing it out.
1103201233[1].jpg

I think you'll be finished with yours before me.
It's been nekkid at least 2 years. Maybe more.
Oh, and I think I may have a cleaned up decal scan saved somewhere.
Let me check.
Laters.

When you launch it, do you have to count down in Russian?

Thanks everyone!

Thats just what I need!

Kuririn, yours looks great! I have some decals for it from Tango Papa.

Here is a vector file of the decals if interested. I did these for the clone I'll eventually get around to doing.

Attachments

• wolverine2.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 44
Nice work on the decal file linville86! Thanks.

I printed out the canopy in a few sizes. This is the largest I printed:

aUB7bW3h.jpg

It might be a tad small.

Thanks.

Thats a great idea, and something I probably should have thought of!

Last edited:
Here is a vector file of the decals if interested. I did these for the clone I'll eventually get around to doing.
Thanks for supplying these decals! I just got Wolverine decals not that long ago from Tango Papa for a clone that I am building now. It doesn't hurt to be able to make more if something goes terribly wrong with the other decals.

Do you have any other decals of classic rockets that you can share?

Not really. I did that one because I have the nose cone and will eventually clone it.

Is Tango Pappa is the only place that still sells classic decals?

Stickershock has the Wolverine on his site. The smallest listing he has is for a 2 inch tube but Mark did the Starfighter Combo for me in BT-50 size and those decals were amazing. They were much thinner than I expected and don't look like thick "stickers" at all. My bet is that he'd be willing to do this for this size and still be within the price range of Tango Papa. Plus, they are more durable and easier to apply.

Life has kept me from my bench for a while. Yesterday I made it back to the Wolverine and the Mini-Mars Lander.

I went looking for my decals from Tango-Papa to check the canopy size and I found this:

KUqXkBFh.jpg

I bought these a long time ago, and I have no idea who made them, but they have the fin patterns and the canopy! I copied them onto heavy cardstock:

5QzSDdjh.jpg

And cut out one of the canopies. Its glued and drying now:

34uR2Keh.jpg

Now I have extra decals and patterns, if anyone needs them PM me your address and I'll pop them in the mail.

The canopy is on.

Construction is done. I sealed the fins and nosecone. Depending on how the canopy dries it could be ready for
primer tomorrow.

xCcPnMhh.jpg

That looks great! I have thought about trying to do a cardstock downscale of that one, the unique nose cone would be a fun challenge to build entirely from cardstock.

Here they are:

Mela1bqh.jpg

YFgzWEIh.jpg

I'm happy to post any other measurements that anyone wants.

The canopy has dried, there was a slight ridge at the join. I put a thin bead of putty around it and smoothed it.
It probably won't make a big difference, but It makes me feel better.

Thanks.

I got a coat of Tamiya primer on today. I still have some work to do on the fins.

jvi5ojmh.jpg

jQf4SN6h.jpg

A thick coat of red primer:

4db5aLqh.jpg

Still some work to be done on the fins.

I got the decals on, but what a pain!

They are VERY thin and kept breaking. I ended up piecing together many small pieces

The bottom decal is not lined up with the launch lug and the right fin star is a bit crooked.

I might re-do them, I have another 2 sets.

Eun8R6Gh.jpg

4BD7qCgh.jpg

Back