Estes - 36D Squared

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
My 36D Squared had not been out for a long time. I don't fly it too much at my normal club launched because it goes so far. Today, though, I had a chance to fly it with the Amateur Rocketeers of Texas on a big field so I took it out and loaded it with a pair of D12-7s.

Dolly-P-f1a.jpg

Dolly-P-f1b.jpg

Dolly-P-f1c.jpg

Dolly-P-f1d.jpg

Dolly-P-f1e.jpg

After a few hundred feet of straight flight, it gradually began to turn into the wind.

Dolly-P-f1h.jpg

Dolly-P-f1i.jpg

Dolly-P-f1j.jpg

Dolly-P-f1k.jpg

Dolly-P-f1l.jpg

In the coast phase it kept right on heading into the wind.

7 seconds sure is a long time!

Dolly-P-f1m.jpg

Dolly-P-f1n.jpg

The coast finally ended and the chute popped out.

Dolly-P-f1o.jpg

Dolly-P-f1p.jpg

The chute brought it down safely and it will fly again some day.

Dolly-P-f1q.jpg

Dolly-P-f1r.jpg

Dolly-P-f1s.jpg

I dug out the Dolly P with the thought of possibly flying it but found that I had treated it a bit too roughly on a recent trip to Hearne...where it did not manage to make it into the lineup. One of the fins had popped and was hanging just by the fillet on one side.

damage-1.jpg

I put some Titebond II into the crack and pressed the fin back into place. I then used a towel to wipe up the overflowed glue.

glued-1.jpg

glued-2.jpg

glued-3.jpg

I wasn't having any trouble keeping the fin straight but I was having trouble keeping it from lifting away from the BT. To hold it in place as the glue dried, I guyed it down with some masking tape.

taped-1.jpg

When the fin had dried, I put some big fillets in place on all of them with Titebond Trim and Molding glue.

fillet-1.jpg

It took a while for those fillets to dry in our current humidity but when they did, I brushed up the paint with some black acrylic.

black-1.jpg

Its my hope that the Dolly P will get a chance to fly this weekend, assuming I can make it to the Austin launch.

done-1.jpg

done-2.jpg

Back