Estes 3" Der Big Red Max nose cone (072304) discontinued

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoomieG

Reaction score
Heads up: Bad news for upscalers:

The Estes DBRM 3" nose cone is no longer available on the Estes website.
https://estesrockets.com/product/072304-pro-series-ii-3-plastic-nose-cone/
Results in a 404. I contacted customer support; they responded that the nose cone SKU has been discontinued, and will no longer be available for sale separately.

The 4" MDRM nose is still available.

Was going to use my 20% catalog coupon on it and found that it was gone when I looked earlier this morning. That's a bummer.

Balsa Machining has a PNC-300 cone listed but I don’t know if it’s the correct shape for a Der Big Red Max - at least it’s not terribly expensive at $12.00.

Balsa Machining has a PNC-300 cone listed but I don’t know if it’s the correct shape for a Der Big Red Max - at least it’s not terribly expensive at $12.00.
PNC-300K is shorter and more pointed (but longer than the Big Daddy's nosecone as its an upscale of the PNC-80K), the 3" DBRM nose cone is blunted at the tip, I have taken out the NC from my DBRM kit yet to measure yet but the 4" version is like 17" exposed with a .5" radius tip, the DBRM should be a direct downscale fro m the 4" MDRM nose cone.

PNC-300K is shorter and more pointed (but longer than the Big Daddy's nosecone as its an upscale of the PNC-80K), the 3" DBRM nose cone is blunted at the tip, I have taken out the NC from my DBRM kit yet to measure yet but the 4" version is like 17" exposed with a .5" radius tip, the DBRM should be a direct downscale fro m the 4" MDRM nose cone.

12.375" exposed with radius of .3125" (5'/16") based on the cone sitting here (as measured with a ruler) :)

I've attached two pics of the 3" DBRM nose next to the 11" nose from my Vanderburn Hi-Flier XXL kit, which I'm fairly certain is the BMS PNC-300. As you can see, the DBRM is a bit longer (12 3/8" vs 11"), but the bigger difference is the wide blunt tip that is a notable feature of the PNC-60AH and it's iterations.

PNC-300K is shorter and more pointed (but longer than the Big Daddy's nosecone as its an upscale of the PNC-80K)...

I'm not entirely sure which nose cone you are referring to as the upscale, but a PNC-80K upscaled to 3" would have an exposed length of 9.5". The Big Daddy/Pro Patriot cone is 9", making it a little shorter than a true upscale; the PNC-300 is 1.5" too long. I guess it depends on how close you want your scaling to be.

Attachments

• IMG_4768.JPG
    IMG_4768.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4769.JPG
    IMG_4769.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 3
Balsa Machining has a PNC-300 cone
I believe that’s the nose cone in the 3” diameter BMS School Rocket Kits. Toby (Vander-Burn), now Steve (Launch Lab Rocketry-Vander-Burn) uses the PNC-300 nose cone in some/all the 3” diameter kits they sell, I believe.

Wish I would’ve picked one up way back when they were available. Has anyone contacted Estes? Might be that they’ll have it back in the future.

Darn, another clone opportunity gone. I guess I will have to 3d print one.

Back