Estes 2022 catalog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure I'll buy the B.O.S.S., but unless it is more detailed than the limited view shows, that round decal is boring. They could have do more with that. I'll bet it good be jazzed up pretty easily.

Launch Lab also sells some upgrade parts for the SO. Though whether they'd fit the new model is obviously up in the air (and that's assuming there really -is- a new model and this isn't just an artistic error).

Take a look at the picture of rockets, etc. on page 54 of the new Estes catalog. I’m hoping some or all might be available soon/in the future?

Starship

(what’s the rocket standing next to the Starship) ?

Jayhawk

1:100 Scale Little Joe II, #0892 (you can see the LES sticking up
above the guys cap)(just guessing)

Phoenix

1:45 Scale Little Joe II

1:200 Scale RTF Falcon Heavy

Jupiter-C and Explorer-1, #1976

SR-71

Big diameter SpaceX Dragon II nose cone

Big diameter and long pointed nose cone, with two small canards, or what are those?

Take a look at the picture of rockets, etc. on page 54 of the new Estes catalog. I’m hoping some or all might be available soon/in the future?

Starship

(what’s the rocket standing next to the Starship) ?

Jayhawk

1:100 Scale Little Joe II, #0892 (you can see the LES sticking up
above the guys cap)(just guessing)

Phoenix

1:45 Scale Little Joe II

1:200 Scale RTF Falcon Heavy

Jupiter-C and Explorer-1, #1976

SR-71

Big diameter SpaceX Dragon II nose cone

Big diameter and long pointed nose cone, with two small canards, or what are those?
They’ve been using that “stock” shot of the rocket display in the Estes conference room for at least the last three catalogs (maybe longer) so I wouldn’t lean on it too hard as a predictor of what’s coming next - though there have been some fairly strong hints that there’s some kind of SpaceX scale model coming eventually along with the much discussed possible return of the Mercury Atlas plus a vaguely hinted return of one of the old Maxi Brutes (my guess would be a V-2 since there’s no V-2s in the current Estes lineup).

No Gemini-Titan II or Mercury-Atlas in the catalog. Was hoping for one or the other for 2022.

All I see that's new in the catalog are the B.O.S.S, Super Orbital Transport, and builder's kit of the New Shepard.

Looking at the builder's vs RTF New Shepard
Builder is 11.8" long, RTF is only 10.3" (shorter)
BUT - Builder is 1.64" diameter, RTF is 1.78" (fatter)

So not quite the same. Also, fins appear bigger on the builder's kit vs the RTF version

Are these supposed to be different versions of an NS rocket or just sizes based on available BT??

Looking at the builder's vs RTF New Shepard
Builder is 11.8" long, RTF is only 10.3" (shorter)
BUT - Builder is 1.64" diameter, RTF is 1.78" (fatter)

So not quite the same. Also, fins appear bigger on the builder's kit vs the RTF version

Are these supposed to be different versions of an NS rocket or just sizes based on available BT??
The RTF version has the add on clear fin set too.

I presume based on available BT. Larger fins because presumably (for whatever reason) they didn't want to do clear fins on the builder's kit.

Frankly, it doesn't look very appealing to me, although it is much cheaper than the RTF version.

I presume based on available BT. Larger fins because presumably (for whatever reason) they didn't want to do clear fins on the builder's kit.

Frankly, it doesn't look very appealing to me, although it is much cheaper than the RTF version.
Has to have larger fins than the RTF which uses a plastic fin unit for flight - Estes has 1+ caliber stability standard. They identify the builder kit as “stand-off scale” which in this case I assume the body tube is longer for the same reason the fins are bigger - to hit that required stability margin.

I’m thinking that a discounted kit from ACS for use as a New Glenn kit bash would be a good idea.

Some of the prices are really confusing to me - why does an Alpha III cost $24 but the Athena is $15? Slightly different nose cone, Athena has a longer body tube, same fin can. Generic E2X $24, Mongoose $18, similar differences but you get another stage and plastic fin can with the Mongoose! Makes no sense to me.

Estes typically raises it's prices 5%-7% each year. It also depends on how long the kit has been in production. Longer in production=More price increases.
In addition material costs go up along with overhead.

This year's price increases do seem to be a bit higher than in past years...

I guess we know why we never saw the upscaled Orbital transport released from ERockets. I'm sure there is some sort of agreement between them that they won't sell the same model at the same time since they are Estes designs.

I'll have to grab one of the orbital transports and the BOSS. Otherwise there's nothing else that interests me. Hopefully we'll get midyear releases like we did in 2021.

Estes typically raises it's prices 5%-7% each year. It also depends on how long the kit has been in production. Longer in production=More price increases.
In addition material costs go up along with overhead.
I don't remember if those relationships existed before, but I believe the Generic E2X was closer to $14 before this increase, making that a 70% increase in one year, which is nuts. Maybe they just believe that the Alpha III and Generic E2X are popular with people who aren't going to look at prices across the range? The Alpha III and Athena are right next to each other in the catalog. I just noticed that the Athena is pre-assembled, though I don't know why that would make it cheaper.

I guess we know why we never saw the upscaled Orbital transport released from ERockets. I'm sure there is some sort of agreement between them that they won't sell the same model at the same time since they are Estes designs.

I'll have to grab one of the orbital transports and the BOSS. Otherwise there's nothing else that interests me. Hopefully we'll get midyear releases like we did in 2021.
I’m thinking eRockets Super Orbital Transport is supposed to be BT-60 main BT? Maybe eRockets will focus on their Scissor Wing Transport.

Nice to have the new (digital) catalog, but a bit of a let down in the new release department. The only thing that firmly grabs for my wallet is the Super Orbital Transport. I might have been interested in the New Shepard Builders Kit, if it wasn't so small and if it were true to scale. Last Fall Estes all but stated we'd be seeing Space-X kits next (this) year. My guess is that they hadn't closed the deal by catalog press time and we'll see some announcements in the coming months for a mid-year release.

Or maybe that's just my hope ;) Still, it makes sense with the info we've got to go on.

They’ve been using that “stock” shot of the rocket display in the Estes conference room for at least the last three catalogs (maybe longer) so I wouldn’t lean on it too hard as a predictor of what’s coming next....

While there's some overlap in subject, I don't think this is the same photo they've been using for years. And even if it were, the Space-X subjects were never featured before.

What's interesting about the Star Orbiter with different fins is.....the hobby shops and hobby distributors are being told that the Hobby Lobby exclusive kit Vapor #7294 will be available as a regularly stocked item with a MSRP of $29.99. And the Vapor didn't make it to the catalog.

They’ve been using that “stock” shot of the rocket display in the Estes conference room for at least the last three catalogs (maybe longer) so I wouldn’t lean on it too hard as a predictor of what’s coming next - though there have been some fairly strong hints that there’s some kind of SpaceX scale model coming eventually along with the much discussed possible return of the Mercury Atlas plus a vaguely hinted return of one of the old Maxi Brutes (my guess would be a V-2 since there’s no V-2s in the current Estes lineup).
While there's some overlap in subject, I don't think this is the same photo they've been using for years. And even if it were, the Space-X subjects were never featured before.

You are correct, I blew that one! That Starship model is definitely new and those two nose cones are definitely intriguing but the Falcon Heavy is, I believe, somebody at Estes contest model.

vNARCON is at the end of the month, maybe there’ll be some information coming during the manufacturer’s forum.

Back