Estes 2-inch tubing and parts with baby H?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Estes 2-inch tubing, nose cones, and the Booster fin can assemblies. I can basically build an Estes Ascender with the stuff in my pile. Thinking about putting a baby H in it, like the the CTI 164-H90 or send that thing high and slow with the 186-H42.

Tubing is 0.030 wall, so considerably thicker than LPR stuff, but not really heavy duty. Just wondering if anyone has put baby Hs in these rockets successfully.

I can't speak for that specific tubing, but my L1 rocket was a LOC kit with a cardboard tube 2.63" o.d. and 2.56" i.d., so 0.035" wall. It flew successfully on an H128 and (I think) an H180. So I would not hesitate to use those components, except that I would use TTW fins with tabs glued to the MMT.

For what it's worth, John Buckley got his L1 on a Big Bertha with an ol' skool H124J SU.

What's the worst that could happen, a shred? Send it!

I have some Estes 2-inch tubing, nose cones, and the Booster fin can assemblies. I can basically build an Estes Ascender with the stuff in my pile. Thinking about putting a baby H in it, like the the CTI 164-H90 or send that thing high and slow with the 186-H42.

Tubing is 0.030 wall, so considerably thicker than LPR stuff, but not really heavy duty. Just wondering if anyone has put baby Hs in these rockets successfully.
Got my L1 on an Estes Mammoth with an H135. The Mammoth is (was? It’s OOP) a 2 inch E2X PSII rocket. I flew it many times on H motors before I got bored and sold it for parts.

I have a handful of H-powered flights on Estes PSII kits — Leviathan, Ventris — and one upscale that used a Partizon as its main source of parts. No problems. But no really hard-hitting motors either. No issues.

As I have noted in other places, I am NOT a fan of overbuilding. None of these models have any epoxy in them except to attach the screw-on motor retainer, and none have materials other than was in the kits, except for the clear tube that’s the payload section of the Partizon turned upscale Nova Payloader.

I would have no qualms about flying them on most non-Vmax type motors. I’ve tried the big Nova Payloader on the three-grain CTI Mellow, and it wasn’t enough at liftoff….the model weathercocked pretty severely (but then it has really big fins compared to most models its size).

I keep meaning to build up an Argent. I think a CTI Mellow in that would be a nice flight on a big enough field.

I have a handful of H-powered flights on Estes PSII kits — Leviathan, Ventris — and one upscale that used a Partizon as its main source of parts. No problems. But no really hard-hitting motors either. No issues.

As I have noted in other places, I am NOT a fan of overbuilding. None of these models have any epoxy in them except to attach the screw-on motor retainer, and none have materials other than was in the kits, except for the clear tube that’s the payload section of the Partizon turned upscale Nova Payloader.

I would have no qualms about flying them on most non-Vmax type motors. I’ve tried the big Nova Payloader on the three-grain CTI Mellow, and it wasn’t enough at liftoff….the model weathercocked pretty severely (but then it has really big fins compared to most models its size).

I keep meaning to build up an Argent. I think a CTI Mellow in that would be a nice flight on a big enough field.

Looking at the thrust curves on CTI's site, it looks like the H42 and maybe a little lighter build (not a payloader) would probably be a nice match.

Yeah. The big Nova Payloader weighs 27 ounces with no motor and no Chute Release aboard. My Ventris is 11 ounces lighter, and an Argent should be in the same ballpark. I have an Argent in the build queue. I just don’t know when I’ll get to it.

A stock Partizon on an I200 can work so the sky’s the limit Partizon-build-challenge&highlight=vulcanite

I looked at wall thickness on Uline. They are heavy!
Sure. But that's a good thing, IMO. If you're not putting a 29mm composite motor, then perhaps the Estes Pro Series 2" tube, or any of the thinner-wall tubes from Semroc, BMS, Apogee, or Aerotech are better choices. For my part, I absolutely love being able to buy a strong tube locally and build something nearly indestructible out of it. I built my L2 out of 3" mailing tube.

My old Estes Impulse was rebuilt with a 29mm mount (I hate clusters) and I pushed that on a G74 once without any issues. That rocket uses the PSII 2.5" tubing with the same wall thickness.

Looking at the SIM that had a max of 18.9G with a max velocity of 350mph (if you believe the sim).

Last edited:
Looking at the thrust curves on CTI's site, it looks like the H42 and maybe a little lighter build (not a payloader) would probably be a nice match.

Yeah. The big Nova Payloader weighs 27 ounces with no motor and no Chute Release aboard. My Ventris is 11 ounces lighter, and an Argent should be in the same ballpark. I have an Argent in the build queue. I just don’t know when I’ll get to it.

Did some sims last night. Even with a short tube and the lightest reasonable build, the still H42 came off the rod too slowly. I guess it's an MD or BT-55 motor.

There's a bit of discussion regarding the Estes Pro Series II kits on H motors.

I think the OP might be talking about standard BT70 tubing which is much thinner in wall thickness.

Perhaps the OP can provide some insight on which tubing he is referring to. If it's the thinner wall thickness, then that is a slightly different conversation. I'd still push the limit with H motors. I did fly an Estes Mini Fat Boy on a G55 which is relatively thin tubing as it is.

I've flown TLP BT-80 based kits on H238 motors without failure.
That said, if the thin BT-80 body tube gets a kink in it, chances are it wouldn't survive.

Uncompromised body tubes can take a surprising amount of smash in the motor department.

Those mailing tubes are rugged and easily obtainable from Staples.
I built several rockets with mailing tubes, never again. They are not near as dense or stiff as LOC tubing. The mailing tube rockets never lasted more than 3 - 5 flights before the tubes crinkled and bent, usually just ahead of the forward CR.

I did my certification flight with an Estes star orbiter. Completely stock, no reinforcements and it held up fine. The kit comes with standard bt60.

Since the OP didn't mention anything about a cert flight, I'm assuming he's just concerned about if the BT will hold up to that thrust level and is aware of how to fly small rockets on HPR motors. I've never scratch built a HPR with 2" Estes BT, but I suspect it will hold up to baby H motors just fine. My advice, build it and try it. If it shreds or folds, salvage what you can and build something else.
BTW, I think a good filler primer for the spirals and paint will stiffen the BT some so don't fly it naked. Then again, maybe it needs to earn it's paint.

Good luck and have fun.

I find the Estes BT-80 tubes (2.6") to be very thin. I'm making a clone Super Big Bertha and wondering about the rigidity of the tube. I built a scratch BT-80 before and added canards to add strength. It's been dangling from a very large tree through several storms so curious how it's holding up (if it's still there). I also find the Estes 2", 2.5", 3", and probably 4" to be very strong and economical. Maybe not LOC strong but strong enough.

I also find the Estes 2", 2.5", 3", and probably 4" to be very strong and economical.
The issue now is these are basically all gone. Per Estes Customer Service no plans for it coming back. That's why the numbers completely disappear from the website when stock runs / ran out. The sizes you listed, in body tubes, couplers, nosecones, and transitions...

The issue now is these are basically all gone. Per Estes Customer Service no plans for it coming back. That's why the numbers completely disappear from the website when stock runs / ran out. The sizes you listed, in body tubes, couplers, nosecones, and transitions...

I assume 3-inch will live on due to DBRM, Big Daddy, Doorknob, and now the Great Goblin. Maybe the Alpha 3" (not III) will be a 2024 catalog item. Wish they would sell that Big Daddy/Doorknob nose cone separately.

Back