Estes 1969 Saturn V Status

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey All, there is no rhyme or reason to this, placed my order with AC Supply on January 20th since their January 9th e-mail went to the wrong inbox on my end of things, received it today. I did put my e-mail notification in with them as soon as they set it up, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Zman, good thing I read your thread. Ordered on the 19th, no email. When I read about your email getting misdirected I checked the spam folder. It was in there! Phewww!

Glad I could help Kuririn! We have 3 inboxes plus the spam folders in each, I just didn't look in the right place, and might have never looked for it if I hadn't seen earlier posts in this thread that the order announcement was out. So it only took 3 days to get my order, that's about as good as it gets. I have always had top notch service from AC Supply, and you can't beat the prices. I am certain they will deliver for everyone soon. It is now added to the build pile!

My prediction: they will be very busy filling a bunch of orders for engines come middle of June...might not want to wait until the last minute to get those in for the July club launches.

I would probably go with the E30 composite motors, not the E12 black powder. Any thoughts? BTW, Estes is "out of stock" again.

My experience with Estes during sales is that things go “out of stock”, but it’s an internal logistics thing, and it goes back into stock very soon, like the next day or sooner. It usually does not mean they are waiting for a boat from China — they’re moving it from one warehouse in the US to another, or something similar.

For motors, I think an AT Single-use E20 would probably work well. CTI makes a 24mm F30 that might be nice. There’s no way I’m using an E12!

My experience with Estes during sales is that things go “out of stock”, but it’s an internal logistics thing, and it goes back into stock very soon, like the next day or sooner. It usually does not mean they are waiting for a boat from China — they’re moving it from one warehouse in the US to another, or something similar.

For motors, I think an AT Single-use E20 would probably work well. CTI makes a 24mm F30 that might be nice. There’s no way I’m using an E12!

That might depend on how many coats of paint you put on it ;-) FWIW I've used the AT E18 and Estes E12 in my Estes Phoeinx (AIM 54-C, weighs in at 12 oz!). The E12 actually gives it a better boost, flying straighter than the E18 and less tendency to veer off in some random direction in a light cross wind. If there is no wind, you can't tell the diff on liftoff, save for the somewhat louder E18... You *do* get a higher flight with the E18.

Last edited:
I would probably go with the E30 composite motors, not the E12 black powder. Any thoughts? BTW, Estes is "out of stock" again.

I think the E12 won't be so bad. I've seen good performance relative to the E18's I've used lately (purely anecdotal of course). I think that if it's at all breezy use the E30 however.

AC Supply has removed the "order for third week in january stuff" and now it just shows as "in stock". I expect they have fulfilled all of the pre-orders (mine is on it's way...) They must have ordered a cargo container full of them.

I never received a shipping notice, but these delivered from AC Supply today!

Attachments

• 15483446227535219959387810179454.jpg
    15483446227535219959387810179454.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 82
I never received a shipping notice, but these delivered from AC Supply today!
Today? Man, your mail comes early in the morning. My neighborhood USPS carrier never arrives before 1:30pm and often around 3:30pm. Also, on several occasions packages have arrived after 7pm...

Yep, today. I am in CST and our mail is usually here by 930am. Podunk USA so it doesn't take long to deliver mail here. Lol

That might depend on how many coats of paint you put on it ;-) FWIW I've used the AT E18 and Estes E12 in my Estes Phoeinx (AIM 54-C, weighs in at 12 oz!). The E12 actually gives it a better boost, flying straighter than the E18 and less tendency to veer off in some random direction in a light cross wind. If there is no wind, you can't tell the diff on liftoff, save for the somewhat louder E18... You *do* get a higher flight with the E18.

I’m more concerned about losing the rocket to a cato. I like E12 motors, but I had one blow up inside a rocket on its maiden flight about a month ago! And our club has seen a large number of E12 and E9 catos. I think if my Sat V exploded, I might never get over it. I’ll save the E12s for the Death Race and rockets that involve fewer man-hours!

I’m more concerned about losing the rocket to a cato. I like E12 motors, but I had one blow up inside a rocket on its maiden flight about a month ago! And our club has seen a large number of E12 and E9 catos. I think if my Sat V exploded, I might never get over it. I’ll save the E12s for the Death Race and rockets that involve fewer man-hours!

Interestingly, I've seen lots of E9's go the way of the CATO. But not a lot of E12s I've used a few of them so far... but it is a legitimate concern. Larger black powder motors (D12 and up) do need to be kept in a good environment and it's not always easy to know if that was the case. In all the years I've used the D12s, I've had two CATOs of those, one that had been dropped many times, and one that was plenty old (it was leftover from the last time I abandoned rocketry back in '97... this time, I'm back until I die)

I can share from experience that the AT E15-4 is an ideal motor for the Estes Saturn V, and is a highly reliable, economical, readily-available option.

James

Hot damn! And there it is! Shipped out on the 22nd! I don't quite understand though. I had gotten one from them verifying my order, yet the shipment confirmation was found in my spam. Nevertheless, thank you!

Well the existence of artificial intelligence implies the existence of artificial stupidity.... or perhaps a bad attitude on the part of the computational system handling spam determination!

Well the existence of artificial intelligence implies the existence of artificial stupidity.... or perhaps a bad attitude on the part of the computational system handling spam determination!
Got my two in the mail today

I got my AC supply tracking number today. When I checked it with USPS, it said a label had been generated, but not that the package had been picked up. I expect it will be on the way soon! I’m probably one of the last to place an order so they will probably all be on the way soon.

Back