Estes 1969 Saturn V Status

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott_650

Reaction score
AC Supply has updated their website - now the release date is late December. But they have an email notice link and they have a price - $53.99. Might need a couple at that price!

Still not on Estes' site... However, the new Christmas ornaments are in the "Coming Soon" section.

regular price = $90. I predict that in Canada, we'll be looking at $149 in the hobby store. Plus tax for a total of $168 out the door for me.

Sigh.

Here are a few cad images of the new 1969. It has a lot more accurate detail on it. The third stage has a complete vacuum formed wrap as well.

Attachments

• Saturn 5.jpg
    Saturn 5.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Saturn 4.jpg
    Saturn 4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 435
  • Saturn 3.jpg
    Saturn 3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 464
  • Saturn 2.jpg
    Saturn 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 466
  • Saturn 1.jpg
    Saturn 1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 405
Oooo. I really like the new design of the escape tower.

I hope it is easier to paint and has a better fin system. I have built two Estes Saturn V's. One was back in the 90's, the other I built around 8 years ago. I really like the details of plastic wrap on the 2010ish Saturn V, but the 1990's Saturn V was much easier to paint because with a lot of the details you could paint first and glue on later. This is crucial where the details are on top of different color areas. Also the 1990's Saturn had a MUCH better fin and skirt system. My original saturn v took a beating. The 2010ish saturn v only flown two or three times before the vacuum formed fins/skirts were damaged beyond repair.

I was fairly determined to win the Centuri Design Contest, at age 11 back in 1979 roughly, with one of my scratch designs I built from the designers pack of rocket parts, and naturally indicated my preference for the Saturn V as my prize. Never did win one, but saved up enough paper route money to buy one eventually.

I blew one of these up back in the early 80's (or late 70's). Too impatient to glue the motor mount properly and it proceeded to fly upwards prior to the rest of the rocket. Looking forward to a new build and have the A-OK from Mission Control.

Homer

Last edited:
I cannot find a picture of the LEM on estes' site.

Go to the Estes website and wait for the central "slide show" to change, or click on the number 3 slide on the lower right.
Wait . . . wait . . . There it is, to the left of the Saturn V picture.
It'll flash on for two seconds then disappear for two seconds.

Back