Estes 1952 4in V2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdooley

Reaction score
anyone have inside info when Estes will bring this one back?
I remember seeing it in early 2000's but never bought one.

I have one in the build queue. Gonna get a good casting of those fins before I start it. No other kit seems to shape the fins.

There was a thread either here or on the other site that mentions that the molds for the fins for the Estes 4" diameter V-2 had been destroyed or discarded by a prior corporate owner of Estes and any new release would require the creation of new molds. Possible, but highly unlikely, in my opinion. I have two which I obtained on eBay already built in fair, but complete, condition and rebuilt them. Both were obtained in the $70 range and required substantial work to return to flyable condition including stripping paint, replacing rings and tubes, rebuilding fins with internal stiffeners, not to mention repaint and fresh decals. Unbuilt kits typically go in the $150+ range on eBay.

I whole-heartedly recommend the Space Monkey V-2 and the Apogee flying conversion. I have several in the build pile. They are almost the identical size to the Estes BT-80 version but there really is no comparison; the SpaceMonkey V-2 is by far the most realistic V-2 kit ever made, in any size. And right now they can be had extremely inexpensively. If I could build only one scale rocket kit for the rest of my life . . . .

I have a couple BT-80 Canadian Arrows for 2.6 V2 build.

anyway, coulda/woulda/shoulda... i remember putting off buying 4in V2 from ACsupply way back in the early 2000's b/c it was "too expensive" :D prob $20-$30

I wouldn't be waiting around for Estes to bring back anything in the 4" size. If you want a V2, I'd recommned grabbing one from LOC.
The coarse, too-heavy LOC V-2 is not even approximately a good substitute for the Estes Maxi-Brute. Oh but if you are in some sort of hurry then by all means necessary do rush out and "grab" one from LOC before they are all gone - and don't forget a ton of epoxy and fishing weights!

I've got an Estes PNC101F nose cone, just not the boat tail. I don't mind making the fins from light ply, just not sure how to do the bottom. Either have a balsa boat tail made or maybe figure a way to make my own.

For the boat tail I used the same nose cone and cut off the tip to expose an opening to fit a bt-50 (24 mm) motor tube. I used an Apogee nose cone (don't know if that's still available) which has the cutoff lines for both 24 mm and 29 mm openings molded into the nose cone. If you use a non Apogee nose cone you can mark the tube by putting a BT-50 tube over the tip and tracing a line. You would cut a little past the line because of the thickness of the nose cone. Cut and sand until the motor tube fits.
If I had to do it again I would seriously consider putting in a 29 mm mount instead of 24 mm.
Good luck.

I have some Estes 3" and 4" pro tube coming in and was planning to upscale some models. Let me know if you are interested in me working on the 4" V-2 A4 boat tail first - send me a PM and we can discuss details.

Back