Estes 1340 kits

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by Tramper Al, Dec 29, 2018.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 29, 2018 #1

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Hi,
    2018 is almost finished and I have finally completed my Estes kit collection of models based on the 1340 fin unit and nosecone, with BT56 between. I'm not sure that the Eliminator XL fully qualifies, due to its modified fin can with motor retention.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. Dec 29, 2018 #2

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Individual pics. I've actually kept my eyes open as well for the two (that I know of) Centuri kits that would qualify, but other than a built model Phoenix Bird rescue I have not had any luck.

Attached Files:

3. Jan 20, 2019 #3

Initiator001

Initiator001

Initiator001

Ah, a fellow fan of the 1340 fin can. ;)

You have been able to find one of the Discovery Starter Sets still sealed?! That's impressive. :)

That was an expensive starter set for it's time and contained the largest single piece of polystyrene foam ever used in a model rocketry product.

I bought one of the Discovery Starter Sets (I was able to afford it because I worked in a hobby shop and got an employee discount) and flew the Discovery and Hitch-Hiker glider many times. The model is still in one of my boxes.

I spoke to an Estes staff member several years ago about future use of the 1340 molded fin can with new models and was told the mold was being retired for the time being.

Attached Files:

4. Jan 21, 2019 #4

Scoot86

Scoot86

Scoot86

Love the 1340- here's a pic of my clone and Phoenix Bird kit :)

Attached Files:

5. Jan 24, 2019 #5

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Yes, and this was the toughest find of the lot. One just appeared recently with a very reasonable buy it now price.

I have heard that, perhaps here. For a week or two a few years ago, the Eliminator was a Special on the Estes site for less than $5. I should have bought ten. And I guess that was a clue they weren't going to need those fins for another model any time soon.

6. Jan 24, 2019 #6

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Tramper Al

Nice! Did the Phoenix Bird come with its engine mount already installed, as it looks in the photo? Do you ever see the KB-9 Argus around?

7. Feb 12, 2019 #7

the random rocketer

the random rocketer

the random rocketer

See the bring back page. Still like the enerjet livery the best out of all the remakes using this plastic.