3D Printing Estes 1336 Cruise Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just started using Blender and it would be a lot easier to modify a file than start from scratch I think.

Hey Everyone - HNY.

Been so busy that I haven't had any time to work on the ALCM AGM86A and I want this model to start a new life in the 21st Century. Having said that, I am providing all the files used along with the Illustrator AI files for decals.

Download / Use of these files constitute acceptance of the below:
1- Any derivative must be made available for FREE to any subsequent user. So, if you mod it, you must make it available for all to share in the benefit. Basically GPL.

2 - MUST NOT BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR COMMERCIAL SALE IN ANY CAPACITY - You can't ever sell it nor any derivative work. There are watermarks in the model (not humanly visible and will not show up in a print).

If you can abide by the above. Please take this model and make it fly again. I designed this originally so it can sit on my desk and I've been out of the rocket hobby so long I don't have anything left. So, I leave it to the fans here to really pick it up and take this to the next level.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1MZTZOUUcTotm55rgRNkNg3XWGmuh3w9J?usp=sharing

Cool model / modeling...

FWIW - You can replace the fins / wings with 2mm plywood to save a bunch of weight.

I split the body into two parts and put a shoulder on it as well as a motor mount inside. I just wanted a quick mock-up so I would still need to tweak my motor mount, bottom / top layer settings, and also need to setup the wing release to work with a nose cone ejection -- not sure how the original mechanism worked.

My modifications are all very rough but looks like the main body is under 60g w/ 3 shell layers. I don't think there is any reason that you cannot get this to launch on a C5-3 (even with nose weight and everything else) or even a C6-3/5.

Spent a bit of time working on the model this morning. Hollowed out the main body (not sure if it will be better to manually hollow or to use slicer -- I am trying a print now using the slicer to get 3 layers outer shells), embed a rear motor mount, and decided to use a top engine retainer (I am thinking to print as a separate part -- I hate printing tons of supports). Still need to setup the release mechanism for the wings (I think I am going to put a tab on the bottom of the nose cone probably that slips between the two wings and keeps them from opening).

1642260661241.png

@almonster - Model looks really great! Thanks for posting. I saw this cruise missile live in VA at the Udvar-Hazy Center and thought it was really cool looking but did not have time to design outside shells.

1642346257658.jpeg

Got most of the major parts printed and CNC'd for this... My rear motor mount had an issue so I am re-printing as a separate part (having the slicing software hollow out complex objects is really convenient but it is somewhat difficult / limiting for me to work in reverse with cutouts instead of building up objects). 18mm motor for scale comparison.

1642346149311.jpeg
1642346555945.jpeg 1642346563798.jpeg

Wings are not mounted yet. I would love to make these parts pop out on nose cone ejection -- kinda just for the heck of it. However, this may be beyond me right now so I will probably just make them move back and forth like the original model or something.

Has anyone seen a Rocksim or Open Rocket file for this rocket (assuming original Estes)? I am kinda curious how much nose weight this would need to launch with wings in open position. I will make one but figured I would ask in case it is out there.

Couple of updates from this past weekend...

FYI - I forgot to note earlier that I expanded the design a bit in the rear to incorporate an 18mm engine with a retainer cap (I could have probably done something a bit more minimalistic / tighter design but I did not mind the slightly wider rear). I wound up printing both the body and nose cone and letting the slicer make the prints 3 layers thick on sides and 0 layers on bottom (also 0 layers on top for the body).

Personally, I found it was easier to print my quarter-turn rear motor retainer portion separately embedded in a 2mm piece of the rear of the body (i.e., digitally cut 2mm off bottom of body and separately print a 2mm rear slice of body with engine mount in it then glue that inside bottom of body). I tried doing the retainer setup along with the body but an error in my design made me have to cut it out. It also looked a little flimsy and separate print can be stronger (so in my print that 2m part on rear is extra).

I was able to get my funky shaped top motor mount to fit and glue inside the body (dripping AC glue onto edges once part was wedged in correct place on top of an engine to get spacing correct). Wound up making this solid unlike my original design shown above to keep exhaust pressure in top some.

1642598557223.jpeg

1642598567476.jpeg

p.s., not likely to launch this on a C6-7, just the first 18mm motor I grabbed out of the box on a high shelf.

I made a very basic sim for the model - does not take into account odd shape of nose, top ramjet drag, etc... I put overrides on the weight and CG for the 3D printed model as built w/ parachute and shock chord included. Looks like this will launch without nose weight on A, B, or C engines. I guess I will try it with a B6-4 next time I go to launch rockets.

1642696422987.png

I wish OR had a way to exclude some elements -- for example, a nose cone weight -- from mass / CG override. Anyway, needed to take overrides off and build up the model w/ PLA components to get close to the correct mass / CG so that I could test where CG / CP would move if I put wings on in an open position and how much weight it would take to make this stable. Looks like with 10g in nose I can get this more or less stable with up to a C6-5 or C6-3 (and more stable with A or B) with the wings on and open.

1642699307666.png

So I just finished the first test print after working on the file a little. There are still some things that need smoothing but all in all this is a good start for the work by @almonster.

I used Fusion 360 to hollow the model with 1.2mm walls. That is too much and on the final print, it will be .8mm. The all up weight without a motor now (MM, + chute and wading) is a hair over 2.8 oz (~80 gr). It will need some nose weight so at 3 Oz, the calculator says it will fly on a B4-4 to 213 ft off of a 3 ft rod. With a C6-5 up to 657 ft.

I think I can get the weight below 2.8 oz (no motor) ready to fly.

Printer: Prusa Mk3
Filament: PLA Hatchbox
Layer height: .3mm

IMG_9336[1].JPG IMG_9337[1].JPG IMG_9338[1].JPG

Last edited:
Quick update on this one... I reprinted the missile body with a .8mm (2 layers) outer wall thickness and reduced the overall weight of the object by 32%. 😏 Funny how math works...reduce the size by 1/3 and reduce the weight by 1/3! Anyway, I don't think the overall weight will be reduced by 1/3 (reducing from 2.8) but will see some improvement. The real question is will the lighter body parts stand up to launch abuse. I have two missile bodies now so later this spring, I'll launch them both for a comparison.

When you guys get the final .stl files tweaked would you mind sharing? I would like to print this one but am better at designing things from scratch than modifying someone elses work.

Finally had a chance to launch this one. I tried it with the wings in place / open but it was not totally stable. Either it needs more nose weight or I need to make wings removable. I tried on a B6-4 so with a bit more nose weight and a C engine (maybe C5-3) this should fly fine.

I wonder what impact the wings had on it. The original wasn't supposed to fly with the wings out. The wing design was such that the launch lug wouldn't work with the wings out... You might be able to get away with not having the wings out and only a little more nose weight. Great to see it fly!

I wonder what impact the wings had on it. The original wasn't supposed to fly with the wings out. The wing design was such that the launch lug wouldn't work with the wings out... You might be able to get away with not having the wings out and only a little more nose weight. Great to see it fly!

Yes for sure, I was trying to see if I could get it to fly with the wings out since It was kinda a pain to make them fold...

Having recently done a partial restore on this model, the wings and pivot were a real challenge, especially since all I had to go on were the instructions from the kit and some photos of an unassembled kit...still in the bag. Lol. Turned out well, but I can't say how it flew as it was sent back to the original owner.

Attachments

• 370469-8b845fb46944bfd3e79d36b3aa39fa9b.jpeg
    370469-8b845fb46944bfd3e79d36b3aa39fa9b.jpeg
    46.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 380433-4e3d8fc868238c2a68448beab02ea49a.jpeg
    380433-4e3d8fc868238c2a68448beab02ea49a.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 0
Back