Been so busy that I haven't had any time to work on the ALCM AGM86A and I want this model to start a new life in the 21st Century. Having said that, I am providing all the files used along with the Illustrator AI files for decals.
Download / Use of these files constitute acceptance of the below:
1- Any derivative must be made available for FREE to any subsequent user. So, if you mod it, you must make it available for all to share in the benefit. Basically GPL.
2 - MUST NOT BE MADE AVAILABLE FOR COMMERCIAL SALE IN ANY CAPACITY - You can't ever sell it nor any derivative work. There are watermarks in the model (not humanly visible and will not show up in a print).
If you can abide by the above. Please take this model and make it fly again. I designed this originally so it can sit on my desk and I've been out of the rocket hobby so long I don't have anything left. So, I leave it to the fans here to really pick it up and take this to the next level.
FWIW - You can replace the fins / wings with 2mm plywood to save a bunch of weight.
I split the body into two parts and put a shoulder on it as well as a motor mount inside. I just wanted a quick mock-up so I would still need to tweak my motor mount, bottom / top layer settings, and also need to setup the wing release to work with a nose cone ejection -- not sure how the original mechanism worked.
My modifications are all very rough but looks like the main body is under 60g w/ 3 shell layers. I don't think there is any reason that you cannot get this to launch on a C5-3 (even with nose weight and everything else) or even a C6-3/5.
Spent a bit of time working on the model this morning. Hollowed out the main body (not sure if it will be better to manually hollow or to use slicer -- I am trying a print now using the slicer to get 3 layers outer shells), embed a rear motor mount, and decided to use a top engine retainer (I am thinking to print as a separate part -- I hate printing tons of supports). Still need to setup the release mechanism for the wings (I think I am going to put a tab on the bottom of the nose cone probably that slips between the two wings and keeps them from opening).
@almonster - Model looks really great! Thanks for posting. I saw this cruise missile live in VA at the Udvar-Hazy Center and thought it was really cool looking but did not have time to design outside shells.
Got most of the major parts printed and CNC'd for this... My rear motor mount had an issue so I am re-printing as a separate part (having the slicing software hollow out complex objects is really convenient but it is somewhat difficult / limiting for me to work in reverse with cutouts instead of building up objects). 18mm motor for scale comparison.
Wings are not mounted yet. I would love to make these parts pop out on nose cone ejection -- kinda just for the heck of it. However, this may be beyond me right now so I will probably just make them move back and forth like the original model or something.
Has anyone seen a Rocksim or Open Rocket file for this rocket (assuming original Estes)? I am kinda curious how much nose weight this would need to launch with wings in open position. I will make one but figured I would ask in case it is out there.
Couple of updates from this past weekend...
FYI - I forgot to note earlier that I expanded the design a bit in the rear to incorporate an 18mm engine with a retainer cap (I could have probably done something a bit more minimalistic / tighter design but I did not mind the slightly wider rear). I wound up printing both the body and nose cone and letting the slicer make the prints 3 layers thick on sides and 0 layers on bottom (also 0 layers on top for the body).
Personally, I found it was easier to print my quarter-turn rear motor retainer portion separately embedded in a 2mm piece of the rear of the body (i.e., digitally cut 2mm off bottom of body and separately print a 2mm rear slice of body with engine mount in it then glue that inside bottom of body). I tried doing the retainer setup along with the body but an error in my design made me have to cut it out. It also looked a little flimsy and separate print can be stronger (so in my print that 2m part on rear is extra).
I was able to get my funky shaped top motor mount to fit and glue inside the body (dripping AC glue onto edges once part was wedged in correct place on top of an engine to get spacing correct). Wound up making this solid unlike my original design shown above to keep exhaust pressure in top some.
p.s., not likely to launch this on a C6-7, just the first 18mm motor I grabbed out of the box on a high shelf.
I made a very basic sim for the model - does not take into account odd shape of nose, top ramjet drag, etc... I put overrides on the weight and CG for the 3D printed model as built w/ parachute and shock chord included. Looks like this will launch without nose weight on A, B, or C engines. I guess I will try it with a B6-4 next time I go to launch rockets.
I wish OR had a way to exclude some elements -- for example, a nose cone weight -- from mass / CG override. Anyway, needed to take overrides off and build up the model w/ PLA components to get close to the correct mass / CG so that I could test where CG / CP would move if I put wings on in an open position and how much weight it would take to make this stable. Looks like with 10g in nose I can get this more or less stable with up to a C6-5 or C6-3 (and more stable with A or B) with the wings on and open.