Estes 12V launch controller question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asmand1

Reaction score
Is there anyway way for me to use a 12V lantern battery with an Estes Electron Beam Launch Conroller?" If i put it at the base of the launch pad, and somehow connected everything? I have no idea about this stuff? Someone please help me!

You could use a relay launcher. I don't have any schematics or anything, sorry, but I'm sure somebody here on the forum does.

Jason

Sure! remove the flashlight bulb continuity lamp and replace it with a 12V bulb from radio shack. works like a charm, 12V dc doesn't hurt the controller at all

Asmand1,

Don't waste your money on a lantern battery. These days, they are usually nothing more than eight D-cells in a tuna can.

Goto Pratt Hobbies website and buy one of his power bricks. for about $25 you get the battery pack and a charger. He does a good job of sourcing good ni-cads. Mine is three years old now, and still good for over 100 launches on a single charge. It can sink enough current to pull in five automotive relays firing five copperheads simultaneously.

You can also look into getting an RC car battery pack and charger at Toys-r-us or rodeo shark for about $20. They are usually 7.2 or 9.6 v though, but plenty for solar igniters.

Or better yet!

Use two 7.2v R/C car batteries for 14.4v and change the continuity bulb with a 12v Radio Shack piezo buzzer (I forget the part number).

My Little Brother made a crude one by just rubber banding the batteries on.

sandman

Or a Hobbco 12v 7 amp/hr gel cell on sale at most hobby shops in the northeast for 15.95 - 19.95 depending on your dealer:) Small light weigh and great for individual launchers.

Back