Estes #1270/#1972 Bullpup 12D Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. It's been a while since I built anything of significance, so I thought I would put up a build thread on this one.

This is actually the Estes #1270 Launchables Bullpup 12D. However, the instruction sheet says #1972. It appears this was the exact same kit simply repackaged for retail. I picked this one up at Wally World several years back. I have also downloaded the current version's (#7000) instructions. As far as I can tell, at this point, the only difference is that the instructions tell us to round the leading edge of the aft fins. Otherwise, it appears to be the same kit.

I will be building this kit almost exactly stock, with one or two small exceptions. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a big fan of friction fit. I've had too many instances where the motor ejected instead of the chute, or the chute ejected, but the motor popped out and lightened the rocket too much. Shall we say wind drift increased? I will be adding positive motor retention in the form of a simple Estes standard size engine hook. I'm also adding an engine hook sleeve. I make my extra sleeves out of the BMS T20Q tubing. The T20Q ID is just 0.012 larger than the OD of the Estes BT-20 tubing. It's a nice snug fit. DO NOT use wood glue here. The fit is so close that the wood glue grabs very easily.

I'm also considering a very lightweight nylon chute. I've flown more Estes rockets than I can count on the plastic chutes. I'm absolutely not opposed to them. But the nylon holds up so much better over time and it seems to do much better at resisting the hot gases and glowing sparks that can sometimes bypass wadding or dog barf. Either or both of these can add weight. I'm not expecting enough difference to really affect the flight much. I may lose a few feet in altitude, but it's a fair sacrifice in my opinion.

So the parts are all basic Estes parts. The tail cone is actually just a transition that they have us modify to make it into a tail cone. You cut off the bulkhead of the BT-55 end and cut off the entire shoulder of the BT-50 end. Viola! A hollow, plastic tail cone. I was already mid separation of the tail cone before I decided to do a build thread. In the parts pic, you'll notice the ends have already been removed.

Parts.jpg

I added a motor hook to mine as well. Too nice of a rocket to risk on friction fit.

I've also managed to assemble the MMT with the modified positive retention system. I do, so very much, hate the friction fit. But this will solve that issue! And it even clears the tail cone successfully. Though I did discover that I had to shift the motor back a little more than originally called for. I needed enough of the engine hook to clear the tail cone to be able to flex it far enough to allow the motor to clear it sliding in and out. Well more out than in. Either way, I shifted the weight to the rear a bit more. I've added tail weight by shifting the CG back, adding the engine hook, and adding the engine hook sleeve. I'll definitely be swing testing this one. Doesn't take much to throw this one off. The kit already requires clay weight in the nose. I may need to add a few more grams at this rate.

MMT.jpg

Back