Estes 1250 Interceptor converted to R/C RG

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, the 12:50 interceptor pods were about 5 g each which doesn't seem like a lot but in a small model like this they add up I remember on the interceptor e they were quite a bit heavier, curious to see what weights you wind up with I think the foam parts are about a gram or slightly over..

Frank, I am dropping off some of the molded wingtips for both the 1250 Interceptor and the Interceptor E at a local vacuformer who does a lot of RC aircraft parts. Going to see if he can do some super light vac formed wingtips. I predict they will be a good bit lighter than the factory parts.

Will report back.

Ideally you'd like them to be about 50% bigger so in proportion they look correct with the oversized wing, which of course hurts weight when you're doing them in plastic..

Frank, I am dropping off some of the molded wingtips for both the 1250 Interceptor and the Interceptor E at a local vacuformer who does a lot of RC aircraft parts. Going to see if he can do some super light vac formed wingtips. I predict they will be a good bit lighter than the factory parts.

Will report back.

Good point on the size. Might have to stretch them.

i think they could be vac formed for about a gram each on the 1250. Could be printed at 1 layer thick for about the same.

Last edited:
Frank, Dave Schaefer and I met at an RC sailplane aerotowing event near Dallas yesterday and we traded out our Interceptor semi kits so we now each have one of each size. Plus, a great day of flying large scale RC sailplanes!

Excellent I'm excited for you guys to build them I think you'll be really happy with how they fly.

Frank, Dave Schaefer and I met at an RC sailplane aerotowing event near Dallas and we traded out our Interceptor semi kits so we now each have one of each size.

I remembered seeing a German themed interceptor scheme long back but I could never find any decals or pictures until recently when someone uploaded a photo of the original with the builder. So that motivated me to order up an interceptor from Amazon and I did my modification with lightweight upsized foam wings and tail structure to make it an R/C Interceptor. Just waiting on the sticker shock cut vinyl to arrive.. Mark did a nice job taking my specs and drawings to make something similar that would look good on the upsized wings and tail surfaces. The model is ready to fly as shown and with an 18 mm d 2.3 motor it's exactly 5 oz. The body tube is vinyl wrapped. Nose cone and wingtip pods are the only parts that are painted painted. My model below, then the decals Mark and I worked out and bottom is the original version that I had seen.

321102287_493196249584798_165701757510795765_n.jpg320811633_927488524903160_224718865707995648_n.jpg320746021_1102784046973826_533475132933006471_n.jpg

Back