Estes 1/19 Scale V2 Finished...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryb

Reaction score
Well.. the hair pullin's done... and its ready to fly...but I have a question... i've heard that this model is marginally stable at best...

Anybody out there have a CG measurment for this kit?

I want to toss it up on an E-9 first... then an AT E-30 i have left over from another project...

thanks
Jerryb

Although this doesn't answer your question, nice paint job! I like the black and white rolling schemes.

CG will depend on how you built it. If it's stock built, then I would try Phaar's suggestion.
If you did any modifications, you have to take that into consideration too.

nice job!

weigh it if you can, fully loaded,chute ect..., before commiting to the E9.

Originally posted by phaar
You can go to https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/search/searchall.cgi?Estes+V-2 to get a rocksim file. That should give you what you need.

dont have rocksim... will the demo version read the files?

I know it will not save files.. but will it read ones that others have created?

to answer the other persons question about weight, it was built completely stock.. with the only omission being the dowel rod antennas in the fins...

thanks for the compliments on the finished product... i actually copped out on doing the camo scheme.. and went for the easier masking job of the spin patterns that the early american tests used..

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by jerryb
dont have rocksim... will the demo version read the files?

I know it will not save files.. but will it read ones that others have created?

The only way to know would be to test it out. :D

Originally posted by gerbs4me
paint job looks good
will those fins hold up with a E30?

I've been told by others that the stock fins will fly in E-30.... guess we'll find out in 2 weeks at our launch

Originally posted by gerbs4me
paint job looks good
will those fins hold up with a E30?

You would be amazed at how strong those fins are stock. I got a V-2 for Christmas and the day of the first launch, my friend slipped and landed on it, slightly cracking one of it's fins. Just a little plastic glue and it was good as new again. I have flown it several times since then, all with success. I have an F-21 and an F-39 for it to fly with sometime soon. I will let you know how it goes.

-Chris

My V-2 loves to veer one direction or another right off the launch pad. I was wondering if any of you other Estes V-2 owners have had a similar experience and what you possibly did to correct it? Could it be that it is under powered? An E-9 seems barely enough to get the thing up in the air. Could I have put the motor mount in crooked? Could it be out of balance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Chris

I've been told by others that the stock fins will fly in E-30....

My stock Estes Maxi V-2 flew perfectly on an AT E28-4 (RMS), which is nearly identical to the E30-4.

It also flew quite nicely on an AT E15-4, except for the extra 5 seconds of delay which produced a "scale-like" landing. :(

flew my V2 this past weekend on an E9-8... about 4 seconds too much delay... chute popped about 50 feet from the ground...

shredded the nose cone chute..... body landed fine, no damage to anything else except the nose chute.

flew great... nice and slow straight climb, no spinning.

will have to try it on an AT motor next time where I can get a more managable delay.

lowest delay I've seen for an estes E motor is 4 seconds.... not sure if that will be any better..but nobody stocks the E9-4's here...i'll have to grab some off the web somewhere.

later
Jerryb

Originally posted by SpartaChris
My V-2 loves to veer one direction or another right off the launch pad. I was wondering if any of you other Estes V-2 owners have had a similar experience and what you possibly did to correct it? Could it be that it is under powered? An E-9 seems barely enough to get the thing up in the air. Could I have put the motor mount in crooked? Could it be out of balance?

-Chris

My V2 performed admirably on a F21. I added nose weight to be sure and I doubt it would fly on an E9 at this point.

SpartaChris: Try a rail pad. I lost a favorite mid power design to rod whip, and that will never happen to me again. The V2 is so heavy that the rod bends and "flicks" it in an unintended direction as it leaves the end of the rod.

I've explained this many, many times on r.m.r. (a Google search of r.m.r. is a very fast way to find info without having to wade through the stink).

Here is a summary:

Build it stock. Do not add extra weight (extra weight comes from replacing the lightweight parachutes with heavy nylon parachutes, filling the fins with epoxy or wood, using epoxy to assemble the motor mount, too much paint, etc.).

With the E9-4 it should weight between 1 pound and 1.1 pounds.

Launch in ZERO wind. Us a 1/4" diameter x 6' long steel launch rod and use the entire rod. Some folks try using a Mantis pad and that is a disaster because the mantis swallows a huge amount of the rod AND it does the "Mantis Dance" when the motor ignites and the rocket starts to move.

Photos of our club members launching with E9-4 motors are all over the lower portion of the jimz photo gallery web page. They fly great when you follow my advice above.

If you launch in wind, with an overweight model or using a short launch rod, your model will barely have any airspeed as it leaves the rod, the rod may bend at a dangerous angle and the rocket will possibly arc over and impact.

The D12-3 gives a slightly faster lift-off, but it will not provide as much total impulse as the E9-4. The D12-3 is better if there is a slight breeze and you need the slightly lighter lift-off weight and faster rod departure speed. you just won't fly as high.

And you can always use the Aerotech F21-4. It will kick your V-2 off the rod FAST and it will go much too high. ;)

-Chris

My V2 is stock, with the exception of a nylon 24" chute. It roars on an F21-6!!

Phred

This is the rocket and the motor that got me hooked on mid power AT motors..... Here is a liftoff pic on an F21.

Ph

Originally posted by rbeckey
My V2 performed admirably on a F21. I added nose weight to be sure and I doubt it would fly on an E9 at this point.

SpartaChris: Try a rail pad. I lost a favorite mid power design to rod whip, and that will never happen to me again. The V2 is so heavy that the rod bends and "flicks" it in an unintended direction as it leaves the end of the rod.

Any idea where I can get a smaller rail for some of these kits?

-Chris

Here is a thread with pics of a design I "borrowed" from another TRF member. It cost me $70, but I could have easily shaved $15 off that, due to lots of stainless parts.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8795&highlight=rail+pad

The rail comes from McMaster Carr and the other parts from Lowes. All of my midpower and even some larger low power rockets will now get rail buttons instead of launch lugs, if at all possible.

Well.. the hair pullin's done... and its ready to fly...but I have a question... i've heard that this model is marginally stable at best...

Anybody out there have a CG measurment for this kit?

I want to toss it up on an E-9 first... then an AT E-30 i have left over from another project...

thanks
Jerryb

If you want an accurate CG measurement, why not measure it yourself? Balance it on the edge of a ruler, or hang it from a string, and see where it balances. Fully loaded with motor and recovery stuff, etc., exactly as you plan to fly it. You might be able to get the CP from EMRR, but the CG you can do yourself, and you'll KNOW that you have it right.

Also, btw, the demo version of Rocksim, which is version 5.somthing, will not read the version 7.something Rocksim files that you can download from EMRR. Believe me, I've tried. However, the version 7 files are plain text, so you might be able to wade through one and get some useful information from it. I've done that before.

One of the other flyers at our August Launch caught my V2 at liftoff and sent me the photo today...

thought I'd share it... this model was built completely stock... excepting that I used (2) 3/16" launch lugs, instead of the 1/4" one supplied in the kit.

It flies great.. once I get the proper motor for it... I thinks its time for Clan Boudreaux to invest in a RMS case.. way more options available it would seem than the BP motors..

I got to launch my V-2 today. I used an Aerotech su F-21. Man did it take off! I wasn't sure what to expect since I haven't flown anything other than an E-9 in the thing, but this thing ripped off the pad like a bat out of hell!

I added a couple of ounces of nose weight which definitely made a difference as this thing flew almost perfectly straight up. This was it's best flight yet! Before I had he problem of if arching over, but I think a combination of the nose weight and the higher powered motor allowed for the best flight of it's life.

Unfortunately I was not able to get any pics. However, I will be launching it again, so hopefully by then I can send everyone some.

-Chris

Oh yeah! my first time with this motor and let me tell ya, I think I will be flying more of them! I have a 3 pack of F-39 re-loads in my box too, so that should be a lot of fun..

-Chris

I've seen four Estes V2 launches on D12's and E9's. None of them were good. The "9" in E9 is not enough. I built mine stock and it will not go up straight. A longer rod might help, but an E30 or similair is much better.

Try Aerospace Specialty Products or Mountainside Hobbies for better V2's. 13mm, 18mm, 24mm, and 29mm versions.

Here a pic of my Estes before crashing.

Anybody flown one on an E30 yet? An F21 is great, but I've got a couple E30s to burn.

Originally posted by rbeckey
Anybody flown one on an E30 yet? An F21 is great, but I've got a couple E30s to burn.

E30 no, E28 with a 4 second delay (virtually identical thrust curve) yes - it was perfect on my stock-built Maxi V-2.

The more and more I fly the Aerotech motors, the more interest I lose in Estes motors in general. Model rockets are great, but for some of their kits, the Estes motors don't have nearly enough power...

Unfortunately I have to buy my motors at launches as there isn't a decent rocket store in my area.. :-/

-Chris

I have the same problems here chris...

I have been hoping that the powers that be at the local hobby shops will pickup the AT motors..but it seems that wont be happening any time soon...

I guess the hobby superstore places arent interested in stocking new items... we get a few quest kits..and the full estes line..but not much else...

the michaels here doent carry anything bigger than a D-12... they do stock the bulk pack of a-c estes motors...which i've been grabbing with the 40% off coupon...

the HobbyLobby, on the other hand.. carry's E9-8 motors.. but with that long of a delay, they arent useable in the V-2... HL prices are 2-3 bucks per pack higher than the Michaels..

neither manager that i have spoken to is interested in stocking a new line..

we can always hope that AT will begin to produce more of the SU motors to expand stores ability to stock them..

Jerryb

The more and more I fly the Aerotech motors, the more interest I lose in Estes motors in general. Model rockets are great, but for some of their kits, the Estes motors don't have nearly enough power...

Unfortunately I have to buy my motors at launches as there isn't a decent rocket store in my area.. :-/

-Chris

Back