Estes 1/100 Scale Saturn 1B Unboxing Video...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
Here's a little video I whipped up describing the contents of the new Estes 1/100 scale Saturn 1B kit.

Bottom line: this is not a re-release, but rather a completely new kit guided by the heritage of earlier releases. It is fantastic, and you should each buy several.

James

Great Video, Awesome job! Thank you for all your hard work in the making of it and sharing!!!

Excellent video James. I had no idea they went and did two styles of H-1 engine nozzles. That is a very nice touch.

Glad you brought up the SMS sheets from Rick Sternbach. I plan to use the 1/96 Saturn V sheet on the Skylab, leaving the CSM markings for use on the Saturn 1B. The +/- Z, Y markings might require some creativity to use on both rocket's instrument units, but I should be able to overcome that issue. I was trying to lobby Rick to do a 1/100 Saturn 1B sheet (he is doing a 1/72 sheet for the upcoming Dragon 1/72 Saturn 1B, so markings can be adapted for Apogee, Semroc and Estes K-29 models), but he doesn't feel there is enough rocketry interest to justify a print run as Microscale requires a minimum order of 250 sheets for a print run.

Now I was thinking if one wanted to do SA-205 from the stock decal sheet, carefully touch up the "6" numbers with white to make them "5" numbers and that should do it since the font Estes used is rather blocky. Using Rockets of the World for a reference, a better looking set of numbers can be done easily as it is more of a Helvetica based gothic font.

One other thing I am planning to do is like the Apollo Saturn V, I am going to do a wrap for the CSM based on David Weeks drawings done for Mike Mackowski's Space in Miniature Apollo CSM book. I have a Scimitar antenna left over from a 1/100 Heller CSM kit to use on it and the recovery cradle hook will be disguised as the second one. It worked great on the Apollo Saturn so I anticipate no trouble here.

Last edited:
Back