error in instructions for Estes Vapor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonSivier

Reaction score
I was judging rockets for a 4-H show at a county fair today. One rocket was the Estes Vapor. It was well built as far as we could tell. However, when putting a 24x95mm E motor into the motor mount it stuck too far to allow the motor retainer to be screwed on. We checked the instructions and it says to insert the thrust ring into the motor tube 3". Measuring the location of the thrust ring it was 3" inside the motor tube. With the extra little tube length from the portion of the motor retainer glued to the motor tube that makes around 3 1/8". The motor is around 3.75". That leaves around 5/8" sticking out, too much to allow the retainer to be fastened. Looking at the instructions for another E motor rocket I have it gives the distance for inserting the motor block as 3.5" which is closer to what I would have expected.

Has anyone else noticed this apparent error in the instructions for the Vapor, or for any other Estes kits? I imagine it was a typo that wasn't caught before the instructions were printed.

Jonathan

There are often errors of one kind or another in Estes instructions. But that’s not what the Vapor’s show. It shows putting glue about 3 inches from the bottom of the motor tube, then using the dummy motor (the yellow tube) marked at 3/8 of an inch from the end to push the motor block in until you get to that mark, then pull yellow tube out. The block will pick up the glue and end up with its bottom face 3 3/8 inches up from the bottom. Look especially at the dimensions on the motor mount side view in the lower RH corner here (which is a screenshot from the Vapor instructions as posted on Estes’ web site):

9CF05CD2-BEA0-485A-9632-78A754012DC5.jpeg

This will, when the screw-on retainer is added, work just as it should.

I've built 5 Vapors. I was new to the screw on retainers so I followed the instructions closely, never had an issue. Vapors are great rockets that fly very well and always put on a good show, easily one of my favorites. Build a Vapor with only one body tube and you get an additional 200 feet of altitude.

I don't put motor blocks in and don't use screw on retainers for 24mm motors ; easy pleasy masking tape works just fine like the NAR magazine had an article on it in 1974 ; "In defense of masking tape."

Dr. Kosden later launched an O motor at Black Rock Desert on masking tape retention...

I don't put motor blocks in and don't use screw on retainers for 24mm motors ; easy pleasy masking tape works just fine like the NAR magazine had an article on it in 1974 ; "In defense of masking tape."

Dr. Kosden later launched an O motor at Black Rock Desert on masking tape retention...
Just came across this. Do you have the article?

Just came across this. Do you have the article?

Not anymore from back then. It simply means using masking tape thrust ring on the end of the motor, then taping over the thrust ring to the motor mount tube works perfect. I have been using it since even on smaller HPR motors like on my I205 flight my Estes Partizon .

I also use the Contest rocket style shock cord mount with them also. The Kevlar cord is run thru holes in the centering rings and at the outside back of the MMT, use a lariat loop on the tube to anchor it. Then run it up the body tube and then attach some other large elastic or paracord to it so when that elastic gets worn out you can replace it easy.

Dr. Kosden used tape on an O motor at the Black Rock Desert to prove it can work.

However on my higher performance rockets I use an AT or AeroPack metal screw on retainers.

Back