ERROR Found In Peter Alway's TALOS Scale Data

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
While looking at Peter Alway's TALOS drawing, I noticed that a STA value is missing, for the airfoil high point at the Fin Root.
1631205908731.png

The entire drawing may be suspect because in Peter's Super Chief II drawing ( ROTW 1999 Supplement ) the Fin Root is 54.00" . . . BUT, in Peter's TALOS drawing, the Fin Root is shown as 51.00".

My data, created by Viktor Minakov, (deceased) shows the following dimensions for the TALOS Booster Fin Dimensions are in millimeters. Unforunately, it does not show the length of the Fin Root.

1631242934025.png

If Peter, or anyone else has the correct value, or can verify my "numbers" , please post !

Dave F.

Last edited:

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Also, Peter's data for the Black Brant XII shows the TALOS Booster Fin Root length as 50.3" . . .

So far, we have Fin Root lengths of 54", 51", and 50.3" for the TALOS Booster, depicted in Peter's data . . . Which, if any, is accurate ?

BTW - Minakov DOES give a dimension of 1291mm ( 50.827" ), as the length of the TALOS Fin Root.

1631306384045.png

1631307958514.png

Last edited:

James Duffy

Reaction score
Minakov was widely known for pulling data out of his ass. Shoot, the poor guy was trapped behind the iron curtain for most of his life. None of his drawings should be considered accurate without additional verification.

Peter's work has the odd error here and there, but he adheres to strict academic standards in his research and drawing. When faced with differing figures between a Minakov and an Alway drawing, always trust the Alway drawing unless otherwise independently verified through an independent third source.

You may have uncovered an actual error in Peter's drawing, Dave, and that's good. Let him know. But don't use a Minakov drawing as the basis for a change.

James

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
You may have uncovered an actual error in Peter's drawing, Dave, and that's good. Let him know. But don't use a Minakov drawing as the basis for a change.

James
James,

With 2 different dimensions cited by Peter, for the same piece of hardware (TALOS Booster), there is no doubt that there are, at least, 2 errors (including the missing STA), in those drawings. They cannot all be correct and, possibly, all of them are inaccurate.

Minakov was only cited for comparison, since the 1291mm (50.827") is "close" to Peter's 51" dimension, not to be "taken as Gospel".

Are you aware of any source of accurate dimensions for the TALOS booster, other than the ones mentioned here ?

Dave F.

Last edited:

CTimm

Reaction score
The 51" root length comes directly from McDonnell as well as US Navy source documents.
The Super-Chief in my 1999 Supplement is 51" as well.
The BB-XII fin at 50.3"most likely came from a NASA-sourced drawing.

PeterAlway

Reaction score
I'll have to take a look at those. I don't recall where which dimensions came from, though there are sources cited for the BB XII and the Super Chief that I can look up. It could be contradictory sources or it could be flubs on my part. Since my next booklet should be Naval missiles, that's actually something to look for relatively soon.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Peter, Chris & James,

Tomorrow, I am driving down to South Carolina to measure the TALOS missile on display at the Patriots Park Naval & Maritime Museum, in Mt. Pleasant, SC ( 4 1/2 hours, each way, for me ) . . .

My intention is only to measure the Booster, Fins, get detailed photo's, and record rivet / hatch patterns.

My interest in the TALOS missile pertains to the Booster itself, not the upper stage.

Dave F.

IMG_6110.jpg

TALOS - 5.JPG

8180868733_f0743d2ac1_o - 8 X 10.jpg

rockets-red-glare-terry-hunt - 8 X 10.jpg

Attachments

PeterAlway

Reaction score
I have two dimensioned source drawings of the Talos-- both are professional-style drawings from either the Navy or the manufacturer (people who have been kind enough to send me scale data in the past have often lost the bibliographic info, and I didn't look hard for that last night). One gives a chord of 51.0, and one gives a chord of 50.83, as I recall. I have a set of NASA or Bristol (I didn't check this afternoon) drawings for the Black Brant XII, and it gives a *theoretical* fin chord of 51.0, but it shows a rounded leading root corner of the fin, as well as a quirk of the position of the root edge that makes the actual root chord a touch under 51. I have an Aerojet drawing of the Super Chief that gives a root chord of (this is from memory, but I rechecked this afternoon) of 55.4.

I've checked my Super Chief drawing file as well as a print version of the 1999 supplement, and I get 51" there.

I'm going to spend some quality time with the NASA/Bristol drawing before I change the BB XII drawing from STA -2.3 to STA -2.83, but that's where the error would be. The leading edge station is specified at STA 48 by a NASA drawing. As for the Talos missile and Super Chief drawings, I will leave them rounded off to 51 unless I find a source that tells me which corners move which way.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
Well, the trip to SC was a BUST . . .

After driving just over 300 miles, I discovered that the TALOS was "missing" . . . After asking a couple of questions, I learned that it had been transferred to a new location, the Indiana Military Museum in Vincennes, IN . . . Almost 750 miles, each way, from my house . . . That "road trip" is NOT happening.

www.suncommercial.com/news/article_6783fc83-1efb-5321-9f40-32cf18746a42.html

It was a BIG disappointment . . .

Dave F.

Last edited:

Troy3003

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm occasionally up that way, a little over an hour away. If you are not in a hurry I will try to get up there this fall. I'll contact you before hand to find out more specifics on what you need.

Ez2cDave

Reaction score
I'm occasionally up that way, a little over an hour away. If you are not in a hurry I will try to get up there this fall. I'll contact you before hand to find out more specifics on what you need.
That is great . . . Thank you very much !

BTW - an extra "ring" was added to the base of the Booster to secure a cosmetic "cover" in place. The Fins actually overhang the rear of the Booster "tube" by 2.3" ( according to Peter Alway's drawings ).

I was only going to measure the Booster, not the entire TALOS.

Measurements I would have taken . . .

I was going to divide the Booster into 4 quadrants ( Left Side, Right Side, Top Side, & Bottom Side ) . . . Note that Rivet & Bolt patterns are NOT identical, from Quadrant to Quadrant !

(01) Overall length of Booster ( plus location and dimensions of ALL Seams, Weld Lines, Bolts, Rivets, Access Hatches, etc ) . . . Same for Diameter and varying Diameters.

(02) ALL Fin dimensions ( Root Chord, Span, Airfoil High Points, Tip Chord, Root Thickness, Tip Thickness, Fin Cuff Dimensions, Size, Location, and Number of Rivets, Bolts, Attachment Brackets (plus Spacing between them), etc, etc, etc. NOTE : the Fin Root has CONTOURS and is NOT "straight".

(03) When dealing with Rivets, Bolts, Screws, etc . . . Location, Spacing, Number, Size, Type, etc.)

(04) Location, Width, & Contour of all Flanges and/or Transitions.

(05) Dimensions of Lugs, Fore & Aft ( Note : there are TWO sets of these, one on the Top, one on the Bottom side )

I have images that I have found online and will make them all available to you, in advance. I also created sheets for recording data, as the measurements were taken . ( attached below )

I will send you a PM today . . .

Many, many thanks !

Dave F.

Attachments

Troy3003

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'll definitely exchange contact info with you before the visit, and get all the data recording sheets printed.
From what I see on their website I should plan a full day to take it all in. Very nice looking exhibits, and quite a large diversity of items.

Latest posts