Eric Truax M.A.G.P.I.E. build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Potentially stupid question #243: Should this be set up so that the motor is jettisoned when the ejection charge goes off? I'm trying to picture the recovery on my first flight, and all I see is disaster. :lol:

You should be using an A10-PT(plugged - no ejection charge) but I've used an A3 and had the motor eject. Just remember it could burn the top.

You should be using an A10-PT(plugged - no ejection charge) but I've used an A3 and had the motor eject. Just remember it could burn the top.
I'm sure I *should* be using that motor :lol: but I'm also using hounddawgracing's version that's scaled up for 18mm...so I'm not sure if we're going to have a regular rocket flight or a spectacular fireworks display.

I guess I'm OK with either one when ya get right down to it.

you can cut a hole in the top to let the ejection gasses out. I did mine before I glued the top piece

Doh...I saw that in one of your previous posts, and it didn't quite click.

Thanks for all the answers, everyone. Aside from a couple of RTF rockets I got for my son recently, I haven't done this in 20-some years. Some of it came back quick, some of it's going to need refreshing, and some of it is just plain new. I appreciate the help. :)

GRRRRRRRAAAAGGHHHHH!!!!!:pirate:

I was hoping to launch these at a kids' event yesterday but time ran out and I didn't make it.

The backup plan was to launch today at my club but both of them had a fin/leg come off.:mad:

I don't know when I'll get another chance.

I launched my 18mm version twice today at our clubs park launch. The first one came down, bounced on it's head and landed on it's feet. They were guessing 300'+ out of a C6.

I launched my 18mm version twice today at our clubs park launch. The first one came down, bounced on it's head and landed on it's feet. They were guessing 300'+ out of a C6.

I just gotta find another launch window before SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED gets back from Minnesota...I just gotta.

It took a month to get another launch window but when it came, I was ready. I had heard that this is a good little performer but really did not know what to expect. I chose to fly the Blue Magpie first because it was the fist one to come out of the box. I loaded it with an A10-PT, set it off and was amazed. It really screamed off the pad. It floew straight and true and tumbled gently down. It was great.

blue-magpie-first-flight-1.jpg

blue-magpie-first-flight-2.jpg

blue-magpie-first-flight-3.jpg

The Blue Maggie performed so well I wanted to see how well the Black Maggie would do with minimal thrust. Accordingly, I loaded a 1/4A3-3. It too flew straight but seemed to start to curve over a bit as soon as the thrust ended. It spit the motor about 50 feet off the ground but had a reasonable, if not spectacular flight.

Black-Maggie-2.jpg

Black-Maggie-1.jpg

Back