Epsom Salt

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plasticpaul

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried Epsom Salt (magnesium Sulfate) in their igniter mix? It would seem to be a good thing to mix in since it contains both Sulfur and Magnesium. The percentages are not perfect but it would seem like a good additive unless I am missing something.

One more question is the magnesium found in the vitamin section the same stuff that is in the camping section, just in a different form?

Epsom salt is Magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, MgSO4·7H2O

It is not an oxidizer, and actually contains 51% water. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_sulfate

Even anhydrous MgSO4 would be a poor source of oxygen. It decomposes only when it melts at 2055F!

Epsom Salt is very similar to gypsum, Calcium sulfate dihydrate, CaSO4·2H2O which we all have in our homes: sheetrock.

Bob

Originally posted by plasticpaul
Has anyone ever tried Epsom Salt (magnesium Sulfate) in their igniter mix? It would seem to be a good thing to mix in since it contains both Sulfur and Magnesium. The percentages are not perfect but it would seem like a good additive unless I am missing something.

One more question is the magnesium found in the vitamin section the same stuff that is in the camping section, just in a different form?

Magnesium sulfate makes great fire proofing. If you want to moderate or tone down the heat of an igniter the anhydrous form of this salt might be a useful additive. The problem is that the magnesium and sulfur in magnesium sulfate are already oxidized to a less reactive inert form.

USP Magnesium Sulfate from one manufacturer must have the same specifications as USP Magnesium Sulfate from any other source. The stuff in the vitamin section may have a different designation (NF, etc.) or had some additional testing that allows it to be fit for human consumption. I would not advise injesting Magnesium Sulfate from the camping section unless the label specifically says it is made for human consumption. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate, typically the same compound found in the vitamins. The vitamins could also contain another magnesium salt.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Thanks guys. I was curious. I have much more fun stuff in the cupboard anyways. I have a whole bottle of Potassium Nitrate. I also have a block of magnesium I can grind up. I also got some real charcoal out of my grill tonight. I cook with wood !!

Thanks guys. I was curious. I have much more fun stuff in the cupboard anyways. I have a whole bottle of Potassium Nitrate. I also have a block of magnesium I can grind up. I also got some real charcoal out of my grill tonight. I cook with wood !!
Don't grind magnesium! Powered magnesium or magnesium shavings ignite easily, and if they do, you can't put it out. Leave magnesium machining and processing to the pros who have the proper equipment and experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium

https://www.webelements.com/webelements/elements/text/Mg/key.html

Bob

I say grind but I actaully use a rasp and save the "dust". It is a fire starter block. I appreciate your concern for my wellfare though.

I say grind but I actaully use a rasp and save the "dust". It is a fire starter block. I appreciate your concern for my wellfare though.

Make sure you take a video of this when you try it.:D

Sorry already done. The block I am referring to is designed for this. It is sold in the camping dept as a fire starter !!! The only thing that is hazardous is the sore arm from running it along the rasp to get the flakes.

Since you seem to undestans chemistry I was curious if you know this. If I substitute KNO3 for KP in my igniter formula will it still work? I am looking at different formulas on the web and have some pretty good ones but I am looking for very good igniters not just good.

Sorry already done. The block I am referring to is designed for this. It is sold in the camping dept as a fire starter !!! The only thing that is hazardous is the sore arm from running it along the rasp to get the flakes.

Since you seem to undestans chemistry I was curious if you know this. If I substitute KNO3 for KP in my igniter formula will it still work? I am looking at different formulas on the web and have some pretty good ones but I am looking for very good igniters not just good.

Substituting anything in any pyro formula usually doesn't work as expected, especially something as critical as an oxidizer.

The best igniter formulation that I have made myself is described here. Since we may be straying into forbidden areas in this forum, you can PM me if you want more details.

spitfire igniter

That is one of the formulas I like. he has some great info on his site. The only reason i was thinking it might work is because they are both oxidizers and I have seen other formulations that use kno3.

I have never had a spitfire fail to light a motor. The only mod I made to the formula was to substitute NC Lacquer for the neoprene binder.

KNO3 comps tend to burn at a lower temperature than the chlorate and perchlorate comps.

Back