Epoxy Question Please Read.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Commonwealth.Net

Reaction score
Remember NHP180 the 3 hour cure epoxy we sold?
Well NHP is no longer in business.

I found a company to reproduce the same epoxy!!

I have to purchase $600.00 of the stuf at a time.

Who wants this epoxy, retial customers or dealers, let me know.

I have to order $600.00 at a time, I would LOVE to sell about $400.00
I bet a tube with every Cosmodrome kit would help sales ??

I have to order $600.00 at a time, I would LOVE to sell about $400.00
I bet a tube with every Cosmodrome kit would help sales ??

work that sales pitch!! lol

I tried NHP, it was nice stuff. Ended up buying 2 gallons of West System so ill have to see when it runs out.

Ben

2 gallons Ben?

That's a heck of a lot of epoxy. I've got perhaps a gallon total, though it's split between West Systems and Pro-Set (stronger, more temp resistant, more expensive, needs a post-cure for best properties). I might have a quart of Aeropoxy lying around somewhere too...

2 gallons Ben?

That's a heck of a lot of epoxy. I've got perhaps a gallon total, though it's split between West Systems and Pro-Set (stronger, more temp resistant, more expensive, needs a post-cure for best properties). I might have a quart of Aeropoxy lying around somewhere too...

Down to a gallon now. you use ALOT of Epoxy Fiberglassing 7.5" and 9" tubes.

Ben

Steve:

For those of us not fortunate enough to use the original stuff, can you tell us a little about it? How does it stand up to 30 minute epoxy? Do you have to cure it?

Wasn't NHP just repackaged Bob Smith epoxy? I tried to buy some direct once and was rebuffed. However If you are considering a bulk purchase I might be interested in a purchase of 8 ounces each of resin and harder (I will supply the bottles) in the fast cure formula.

Steve:

For those of us not fortunate enough to use the original stuff, can you tell us a little about it? How does it stand up to 30 minute epoxy? Do you have to cure it?

This was a 3 hour slow cure epxoy, very strong, thinner than 30 min so it would flow, making filets along fins easy !

8 Ounces sold for under $10.00

I sold a lot of it before they (NHP) went out of business.

Wasn't NHP just repackaged Bob Smith epoxy? I tried to buy some direct once and was rebuffed. However If you are considering a bulk purchase I might be interested in a purchase of 8 ounces each of resin and harder (I will supply the bottles) in the fast cure formula.

Pretty much yes

2 gallons Ben?

It's all relative, Chris.

I've purchased 4 or 5 of the 5 gallon drums of Fibreglast System 2000.

-Kevin

It's all relative, Chris.

I've purchased 4 or 5 of the 5 gallon drums of Fibreglast System 2000.

-Kevin

now THATs some epoxy! But like you said, it depends what you are doing, 7.5", 9" and 11.5" tubes suck up fiberglass and epoxy like you wouldn't believe.

Ben

now THATs some epoxy! But like you said, it depends what you are doing, 7.5", 9" and 11.5" tubes suck up fiberglass and epoxy like you wouldn't believe.

Trust me, I'd believe it.

It depends, too, on the material you're using. Standard rocketry airframe tubing doesn't begin to soak up epoxy like concrete forms do.

We've actually found it's better to brush a bit onto the tube, then put it in an oven for a partial cure, pull it out, then do the layup over the still-green epoxy. That way, the tube doesn't soak up anywhere near as much epoxy.

-Kevin

Kevin, if you've got an oven that will hold a 7.5" or 12" airframe, that's got to be SOME oven.

Kevin, if you've got an oven that will hold a 7.5" or 12" airframe, that's got to be SOME oven.

Biggest tube we've put in an oven is 24" diameter and 12 feet long. It takes a LOT of heat to get a space that large up to 200F and hold it there.

-Kevin

I see no Bob Smith products that come close to NHP180.
what am I missing?

Bob Smith used to have an Extra Slow Drying Epoxy (2 hour rated I think) that is no longer available either. While it came in the same style and size container that certainly wouldn't be any kind of proof that it was the same as NHP. Most of my customers have switched to the BSI 20 minute laminating epoxy or West Systems if they really need that very long dry time but most are not laminating rocket tubes either. They are fiberglassing airplanes.

On another note, I would like to know where everyone is getting the two part expanding foam now that a lot of folks use for fin cans.

Most of my customers have switched to the BSI 20 minute laminating epoxy or West Systems if they really need that very long dry time but most are not laminating rocket tubes either. They are fiberglassing airplanes.

On a hot summer day, if you're working outside, 2 hour pot life becomes much, much shorter. No way I'd want to try a 20 minute epoxy outside during the summer.

On another note, I would like to know where everyone is getting the two part expanding foam now that a lot of folks use for fin cans.

Giant Leap sells it, as does PML.

-Kevin

On a hot summer day, if you're working outside, 2 hour pot life becomes much, much shorter. No way I'd want to try a 20 minute epoxy outside during the summer.

Exactly, that's why a lot have gone to the West's systems slow cure.

Back