Epoxy pricing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Rory Gin

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the price of BSI epoxy lately. I just checked with one vendor this morning and was gobsmacked - literally a doubling of the price for the BSI stuff. I am just wondering if that is an anomaly or if anyone has had a severe increase? $31 CDN for a 4.5 oz set (5, 15 or 30min).

Has anyone noticed the price of BSI epoxy lately. I just checked with one vendor this morning and was gobsmacked - literally a doubling of the price for the BSI stuff. I am just wondering if that is an anomaly or if anyone has had a severe increase? $31 CDN for a 4.5 oz set (5, 15 or 30min).
It’s not a direct comparison because of the exchange rate but one online rocket vendor has 4.5 oz packages for $11.99 US.
https://csrocketry.com/search.html?...tegory&token=61ecea4602d3265cf093c55b4ad9a497

The chemical industry is getting hit with supply problems and price increases like everything else. For example, I paid $1.29 for a gallon of generic Walmart bleach late last year. Now its $5.52.

Spray primer I use has gone up from $8.50-ish to $13.

Every individual has a "Breaking point". A price for some item that is above that which said individual will pay.
Now if the item is a necessity, then the person just pays it and weeps.
Then he/she stops buying other things that are not necessary.

So, what happens when enough people reach their limit on some common discretionary product and said product sets on the shelves till long past its expiration date?

I'm thinking mostly about "Junk Food" such as cookies and chips and the like whose prices have skyrocketed in recent months.

So, what happens when enough people reach their limit on some common discretionary product and said product sets on the shelves till long past its expiration date?

I'm thinking mostly about "Junk Food" such as cookies and chips and the like whose prices have skyrocketed in recent months.
Cookies and chips are discretionary? :questions:

I dumped bob smith for west years ago. Of course, west went up in cost too. And we all use different quantities. But, my math said it was a better deal even if they were directly comparable.

It’s not a direct comparison because of the exchange rate but one online rocket vendor has 4.5 oz packages for $11.99 US.
https://csrocketry.com/search.html?...tegory&token=61ecea4602d3265cf093c55b4ad9a497
My local vendor sells it for $18.99 CDN for the 4.5 oz set but that would be about average for a small hobby shop here. I was just shocked that the price from the one vendor was so high, essentially double their previous price. I wanted to know if this was an immediate trend or a one-off from this particular vendor.

You can get 4.5oz BSI at great hobbies for 17.99 CDN. I noticed the price increase at my preferred store, and it’s over $30 for the same product. Get it while you can!

Hawk Epoxy has not gone up in price. I just checked and it's still $57.74 shipped to my door for the quart kit. That include resin, catalyst, filler and pumps. The same as West Systems but costs much less. Just got this kit a few weeks ago.IMG_0118.jpg

I take the OP to be referring only to BSI branded epoxies not all the others that are not even in the same class, 30 min or less cure time, hobbyist stuff not prograde.

Actual price data and trends in (industrial) epoxy resin markets for the last several quarters: https://www.chemanalyst.com/Pricing-data/epoxy-resin-79

TLDR: prices are somewhat volatile, 12-15% increase in the most recent quarter reported...overall have nearly doubled since Sep 2020. Hard to say how that would affect hobby epoxy vendors who are a really tiny fraction of the market and who probably only buy from upstream every once in a while, except that prices are likely trending somewhat upward over time. I agree that the very high price Rory mentioned in the first post is an anomaly; BSI is widely available in the States for USD $12-15.

I take the OP to be referring only to BSI branded epoxies not all the others that are not even in the same class, 30 min or less cure time, hobbyist stuff not prograde.
Please forgive me as I thought the title to this thread was “Epoxy Pricing “ and not Bob Smith Industries Epoxy Pricing.

Back