Epoxy Painting Couplers and tubes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtH

Reaction score
Hello,

Several months ago I built a LOC Doorknob and I really had a hard time getting the AV bay to slide freely from the body tube. I ended up peeling layes from from the AV bay, and still mushroomed the inside of the body tube of the door knob. I got so frustrated I peeled off layers on the inside f the body tube, which weakend it. Oops! :blush:

I finally got it acceptble. When I wnet to launch it, a much more experienced flier saw what I did and pointed out how he painted his av bay on his EZ-I with thinned epoxy, and it was there fore hard, sandable and less prone to swelling in the humidity.

So I decided to try this. I have a 38 mm optima I am working on. I found a spare BT-80 coupler, and mixed up some bob smith 30 minute epoxy, and using the "TLAR" method thinned it with Denatured alcohol until it was like paint. I painted it on to the coupler, and after it dried, I sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper, giving me a pretty smooth finish.

My question is, is it also advisable to do the same thing with the inside of the body tube? I can not remember if the gentleman who showed me his rocket did that or not.

Any other suggestions along the same lines?

thanks

I do mine (tube and coupler) with thin CA. Kinda the same idea. I don't see why you couldn't use thinned epoxy on the tube. Just watch for CG changes.

Back