Engraving motor casings?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewD

Reaction score
After loosing a couple rockets/motor casings over the past few years, I've been searching for a good way to help them be identified and return if found.

I've been writing on my casings with marker and have used stickers with information on some of my casings. But that doesn't seem very permanent. Especially if they're "stolen" or out in the weather for a long period of time.

Would engraving compromise the integrity of the casing or void the warranty? Does anybody have a better solution?

Hmmmmm the laser etching or cutting sounds like a good option. But I was hoping for something I can do myself. Maybe there's a way to bleach the anodizing with lettering?

I saw something some time back that was some kind of handheld laser engraver. Looked like some sort of automatic rubber stamp kinda thing. Hook it up to the computer and set it on whatever gets marked. Can't find it now though...but that would've worked getl

I think I'm going to give the etching pen a try and report back. It sounds like the most effective method outside of laser etching, which would be nice!

Pay for the service where? This is for my hardware that I've had for several years already.

There are many shops that can handle such jobs. Laser etch, silk screen, rotary engrave, etc. Art cost is usually around $100 in addition to the per unit or possibly batch cost for the marking. Shops that have these resources are generally: control panel shops, trophy shops and sign shops.

There are many shops that can handle such jobs. Laser etch, silk screen, rotary engrave, etc. Art cost is usually around $100 in addition to the per unit or possibly batch cost for the marking. Shops that have these resources are generally: control panel shops, trophy shops and sign shops.

Hmmmmm there's a trophy shop next door to my wife's work. I might have to check that out!

The cheap way is to get a sheet of Avery adhesive label paper and print out and stick on a label with your name and contact information to your airframe and motor.

The cheap way is to get a sheet of Avery adhesive label paper and print out and stick on a label with your name and contact information to your airframe and motor.

If I could find a foil type label to print on similar to CTI's, i'd likely try that first and see how it holds up. It would be nice to have something that could last out in the weather for up to a year in the event it takes a while before it's found. Right now i'm using a felt tip marker, but most of it washes off when I clean my casings. And it's hard to read on the black Aerotech casings. But like you said, also having information on the airframe is a good idea.

If I could find a foil type label to print on similar to CTI's, i'd likely try that first and see how it holds up. It would be nice to have something that could last out in the weather for up to a year in the event it takes a while before it's found. Right now i'm using a felt tip marker, but most of it washes off when I clean my casings. And it's hard to read on the black Aerotech casings. But like you said, also having information on the airframe is a good idea.

CTI labels look very similar to those used for Asset Protection. HTH.

They make a printable foil for use on a CriCut or Silhouette machine. But the inks would be water based methinks so you would be in the same boat as with permanent marker. Maybe use the machine to cut out the lettering so that the color of the case comes through. Don't know. Of course, you would need one of those machines.

Also you can have foil stamped stickers made. Seem pretty expensive to me:
https://www.labelsstickersandmore.com/Identification_Decals_Non_Consecutive.html

Maybe you can get some foil stickers made locally.

Asset protection seems less customizable:
https://www.mavericklabel.com/company/products-maverick.html

Ahh....
https://golf-label.com/

Good luck,
Mikey D

Back