Engines not firing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The launch controller to use with a car battery was probably the FS-5 Launch Control System, and the wooden tripod pad was called Tilt-A-Pad. Both are shown on page 39 of the same 1967 catalog linked just above.

I still have my Tilt-A-Pad from when I was a kid....it's one of the few rocketry-related things that I have from back then.

Yes, the Tilt-A-Pad was my inspiration for the pad I built. Thanks for the memories!

The red box is an Electro-Launch. The one pictured is the first version, which was only in one Estes catalog - 1966. I got one off of eBay a few years ago and use it from time to time. Four Duracell Ds work pretty well even with the current "starters". I also got one of the later version with the lower case that nested in the top one. (see, for example, page 37 here: https://estesrockets.com/wp-content/uploads/Catalogs/Estes_1967_Catalog.pdf) But I remember both the bare nichrome wire (which we wrapped around the Electro-Launch's key to make a coil) and then the wire with the flattened section that had the blue coating over it.

The launch controller to use with a car battery was probably the FS-5 Launch Control System, and the wooden tripod pad was called Tilt-A-Pad. Both are shown on page 39 of the same 1967 catalog linked just above.

I still have my Tilt-A-Pad from when I was a kid....it's one of the few rocketry-related things that I have from back then.

The OP seems to have wandered off. He has only been in one other thread, in which he reported "finally" getting to launch an Alpha III and then losing it to a RET, and looking for replacement suggestions. That was a week after he posted the question here.
Thanks for the old catalog....good useful information and nice, old historic photos and illustrations.

I also recently got back into rocketry, and finally got a chance to do some launches. All of the motors ignited perfectly, and I attribute it to:

1. Dropping in the igniter so you hear and feel that it has touched the propellant, then putting in the plug before bending the leads over

and (probably more importantly)

2. I purchased the Porta Pad II without the Electron Beam launcher. Instead, I got the Pro Series II launcher, and put in a 3s LiPo battery. I decided I didn't want to mess with AAs or 9V batteries. The LiPo will hold a charge for a long time and many launches. It ignites standard 18mm motors instantly when you press the launch button.

If it's within your budget, I recommend trying out the Pro Series launcher with a LiPo; it's been working flawlessly for me so far.

What battery did u choose? I'm looking for one for my psii launch controller but get lost in the sauce when digging through various websites and batterys and prices.

What battery did u choose? I'm looking for one for my psii launch controller but get lost in the sauce when digging through various websites and batterys and prices.

I picked one out of my stash of existing LiPo batteries originally for my electric RC aircraft, but essentially this one will work:

Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 20C LiPo Pack

Per the PSII controller instructions, it meets the requirements:
Minimum 1000mAh? Check
3S (12 Volts)? Check
JST style connector? Check (JST style is the small, red connector)

The only other thing to be aware of is fitting the battery into the compartment of the controller. I'd have to check, but I think I actually went with a 850mAh battery so that the battery compartment cover would close, but it likely has a decent discharge, or "C" rating. So far, for igniting LPR motors, it's worked flawlessly, with instantaneous ignitions after button press.

These would likely also work:
ZIPPY Compact 850mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack

Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack

I picked one out of my stash of existing LiPo batteries originally for my electric RC aircraft, but essentially this one will work:

Turnigy 1000mAh 3S 20C LiPo Pack

Per the PSII controller instructions, it meets the requirements:
Minimum 1000mAh? Check
3S (12 Volts)? Check
JST style connector? Check (JST style is the small, red connector)

The only other thing to be aware of is fitting the battery into the compartment of the controller. I'd have to check, but I think I actually went with a 850mAh battery so that the battery compartment cover would close, but it likely has a decent discharge, or "C" rating. So far, for igniting LPR motors, it's worked flawlessly, with instantaneous ignitions after button press.

These would likely also work:
ZIPPY Compact 850mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack

Turnigy nano-tech 950mah 3S 25~50C Lipo Pack
Thanks for the help. Oddly that is the battery I had marked for the controller, just wanted to make sure connection style was correct. I'm going to go w the 1000mah to make sure I can launch clusters w o issue.

Back