Engines for Estes Maxi Alpha 3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rocket definitely CAN take E sized motors!

The motor mount is sized for E motors. If you want to use a D motor, then use the orange spacer that came with the rocket to accommodate the shorter D motor. The D12-3 is good on a smaller field, and for your first flight, that’s what you should use.

But if you have some room for recovery and want to go higher, then the Estes E9-5 or E12-5 is good. You don’t need the orange spacer for those.

Or if you’d like to try a composite motor for higher, faster, and louder flights, an Aerotech E20 would be a great place to start. Don’t use the spacer. Also, you’d need a 12-volt launch controller to light the igniter that comes with the E20.

Ok, thanks Mr. Barbarian. I have an Alpha that I haven't hauled of the closet in years and didn't trust my memory for the engines. I had thought I'd flon it with E 12-5 in the past and will now order some of those as I do have the luxury of a larger field. At least one that usually gets them back to me 80% of the time. Barring major 'chute malfunctions...

If it's very old, it may have the motor block installed more aft for D motors, and an E won't fit. But for 5 or 6 years at least (maybe more), the motor block has been installed further forward, and it's been able to accommodate E motors and comes with an orange spacer for D motors. If you have an orange spacer, then it's probably set up for E motors, but you might want to double-check. You might want to measure how far forward your motor block is.

The most recent release of the Maxi Alpha 3 has a mount for 24mm Es (3.75 inches long). The earlier ones only took 2.75 inch long motors (Ds).

The more I think about, I'm 99% sure I've flown this one with an E. As I say, it's been stuck in the closet for some years and I think I must have gotten it on Ebay, so its manufacture date is uncertain.

At any rate, I've ordered the E-12-6 engines and hope they will fit when it comes time for the traditional Thanksgiving afternoon rocket shoot down on the farm!

Plus, if all else fails I've got a Big Daddy that I can use the Es with.

Last edited:
If you want to watch something roar off the pad, build a Big Daddy with a 3 E cluster - comes out to the equivalent of a small G!

Except I'd probably never see it again!! But it sounds worth it just for the ignition and ascent...

I tried an Economax F44 in one of my Maxi Alpha 3s, but the plastic fins couldn't take it. They didn't break, but the fin flutter caused it to fly very erratically.

Latest posts

Back