Engine Manufacturing Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carldoc

Reaction score
Is Quest out of the Engine bussiness? I was told by a sales clerk that they no longer make engines. Also, Is Estes going to stop making C-11-7 moters? According to Hobbylinc, they are. Anyone know?

Not sure about any Estes decisions, but I have not heard *any*thing from any of my sources about Quest pulling out of the motor business (and I have some good sources... :) )

I've heard some funny stuff from sales people.. Like, for example, that Aerotech doesn't make anything larger than a 29mm...:rolleyes:

Sales clerks in stores can tell you complete lies. They are either intentional - because they don't carry a product or line anymore and they don't want you to buy those items at another store or online (for less) - or they are unintentional - repeating a rumor as fact.

here is a fact: Quest still sells motors. Lots of them. They have them made in germany just like they have for many, many years. The quality is superb. the tracking smoke is fantastic. The delay time is accurate.

They even have new igniters which should be shipping with new motors packed in the near future. They are the same as the old MRC igniters and Quest calls them "Q2". They intantly fire on the Quest 9 vold launch system and will fire as easily as an Estes igniter on a 6 volt system.

As for Estes, give them a call and ask. 1-800-525-7561.

They allegedly dropped the C11-0. There is no C-11-7, but there is a C11-7. i don;t know if it is being dropped, but I do know I see limited use for it - even as an upper stage motor. Most heavy two stagers need a C11-5 (shorter delay time).

Estes tends to drop a motor if there are inadequate sales. if you want a motor to live, you must buy it, fly it, then buy it again (repeat 100,000 times).

Originally posted by carldoc
Is Quest out of the Engine bussiness? I was told by a sales clerk that they no longer make engines. Also, Is Estes going to stop making C-11-7 moters? According to Hobbylinc, they are. Anyone know?

Many of these "smart" store clerks will also tell you that you must have a LEUP in order to buy E, F, or G motors . .

No they won't. They'll tell you that "they stopped making E, F and G motors".

Originally posted by powderburner
Many of these "smart" store clerks will also tell you that you must have a LEUP in order to buy E, F, or G motors . .

or that i had to get a waiver to fly an estes eliminator on an E9...even though it weighs like...2oz. lol. yes, they are wacky. telling me that they only have 32mm aerotech motors, when they have 29mm G40's G80's and two pack econojet F20's sitting not 4 feet from me. you gotta love it.

Originally posted by shreadvector
No they won't. They'll tell you that "they stopped making E, F and G motors".

I think it's a matter of perspective. I believe that just because they are behind the counter they are now the "authority" on the subject. For once, I'd love to say something like "Before you go any further, could we trade spots? Why don't you come to this side of the counter and I'll stand where you are. Ok...go ahead." I think that might be a good start.

Along the same lines, you should hear the flat-out garbage that bank tellers tell customers. It is either to get the customer to stop asking for items that the teller does notwant to be bothered with or the teller has been given false info from their managers. "We can't get Two Dollar Bills". "We can't get dollar coins". "They are not available". "They stopped making them".

All a lie. The federal Reserve ships whatever a bank or armored carrier orders. there are online order forms for the cash services and all denominations are listed and available. They even go out of their way at "Holiday Time" to supply brand new money if requested (for gift giving). Of course, the banks have to actually request it by checking the box on the form.

Originally posted by eugenefl
I think it's a matter of perspective. I believe that just because they are behind the counter they are now the "authority" on the subject. For once, I'd love to say something like "Before you go any further, could we trade spots? Why don't you come to this side of the counter and I'll stand where you are. Ok...go ahead." I think that might be a good start.

Back