Engine blocks- removing the blockage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjrockets

Reaction score
I've been catching up with some of the new technology in rocketry, well, new to me anyway. I built an Estes Maxi Brute HoJo awhile back, but have since removed the engine hook to make room for an AeroPac retainer.​
Now I see that Cesaroni has some nice 24mm motors I can use. Trouble is, I originally built the rocket with the engine block.
I'm checking for ideas as to how to get the block out of the rocket so I can at least use the Cesaroni 3-grain 24mm motors. Whad'ya got?:2:

Gordon Olson
TRA Level 2
Tripoli MN

I've tried to remove it in a few models, always wound up destroying the MMT. Sometimes, I lucked out, and the rings were okay--with a bit of sanding. On others, I had to replace them, as well. I'd make sure I had compatible centering rings and additional MMT tubing before attempting. It may be worth asking what glue you used to install it...?

Best of luck!

Later!

--Coop

Not an east task ,that`s for sure ,and trust me,I`ve done it more than I want to count (still doing a few Aerotech rockets for the same reason you mention).

Some tomes on heavier MMTs I have simply taken a dowel the same size as the MMT tube and inserted it in and using a hammer,smashed it out and then sanded the inside smooth (the wire clip as well)

On thinner walled MMT (like yours) I would use a dowel and wrap coarse sandpaper around it and sand it out ,until it`s smooth.You may have to increase dowel size as you go.

Paul T

24mm drill bit? small round file chucked in a drill and grind away?

the dowel and sandpaper tip will work, but may take a while.

24mm drill bit? small round file chucked in a drill and grind away?

the dowel and sandpaper tip will work, but may take a while.

Now that you mention it, I did use a round wood rasp a few times on my Aerotech kits ,removes material very quickly ,but again ,caution and care would be the word of the day on thinner MMT tubes.

Paul T

If the motor block is the typical Estes wound paper type, you might try this:

Get a hobby saw blade to fit a large XActo handle. Not a razor saw, but more like a hobby version of a keyhole saw. Insert the blade through the opening in the motor block and carefully saw down to the motor tube. Then, using a long set of forceps, carefully peel each layer of the motor block out of the center. Once you get down to the glue layer, carefully sand that out with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. Work slowly and carefully, and check every so often wit your motor casing - once it slips past the old motor block, you're good to go.

I wonder how hard it would be to find a piece of 24mm OD pipe? Could take that, grind teeth into one end then use it as a rasp, maybe?

Back