ENG 101 Essay Idea?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketmaniac

Reaction score
Ok, you know that I am in college now. One of my classes is English 101.... Good old writing class...... We have to write 4 essays..... I have completed 3 of the 4..... So far, I have written only about rockets (I am a maniac)

The first essay, due on the 2nd day of class, was a diagnostic essay. It was just to show the teacher what level of writing we were at. We had to tell a story from the viewpoint of a non-living object. I wrote about "shaken, not stirred" going to a launch. I made a 100 on it. (you either got a 100 or a zero.... you either did it or did not do it)

The next essay was a informative essay. I wrote about "why rocketry was my favorite hobbie" I got a 95 on it.

The third essay that I turned in this morning was a process essay. We had to write about (or teach) the reader about a process. I did my paper on "how to prepare and and launch a model rocket". I feel comfortable I will get at least a high "B" or a low "A"

The last essay is an argumentative essay. We have to pick a controversial topic and argue one side........

This leads me up to my question.......

I want ideas for a "rocket" or "space" paper.

I have been thinking about the following subjects;

1. ATF......:kill: and the rocketry hobbie

2. NASA...... needs a bigger budget (to get the space program back on track)

3. Space Exploration....... Private vs. Government (spaceshipone)

All of those topics are deep subjects, and merit a good paper to be written about them. I just got my assoc. degree in May, and my last class was ENG-101, and for my last essay (argumentative as well) I wrote about SS1 and the privitization of space, and the new frontier about to be realized. This paper was written obviously before they even reached Space in June. Now they have reached space more 3 successful times in as many months, and at a fraction of the cost that the Gov says could be possibly have been done.

Your number 3 choice is a good choice because it is still fresh on everyones mind.

$.02

Rocketrmaniac,

I would personally choose the private vs gvmt on the space race. Pick a side, such as private and state three reasons why in the first paragraph. In the second paragraph, state a benefit of gvmt, but then expand on the first of your reasons. Third paragraph, second reason, fourth paragraph, third reason, fifth paragraph a summary of why. End with a stunning last sentence. About 5 sentences per paragraph.

These are the types of essays I have seen most colleges require. if they wish more paragraphs, then you expand each fo the three sections into more details and additional paragraphs. This is, I can't quite remember the term, an "argumentitive?" Essay and you will wind up using this form of writing throughout college.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Carl

I like 2 and 3

#1 doesn't have much of an audience (neither does 2 or 3 :D)

Those all seem like good ideas. Here are a few more choices you may consider.

"Hybrid vs solid propellant"

"Conventional rocket (like the Apollos) vs gliding type of ship (like SS1) vs combination (shuttle)"

"Space: to Explore or not to explore"

or something a bit more local and not rocketry related - why are Gamecocks better than Tigers?

:D

Originally posted by ericb
Those all seem like good ideas. Here are a few more choices you may consider.

"Hybrid vs solid propellant"

"Conventional rocket (like the Apollos) vs gliding type of ship (like SS1) vs combination (shuttle)"

"Space: to Explore or not to explore"

Very good ideas....... But I have to do a "controversial topic".... the kind that start a heated debate.......

Originally posted by ericb
or something a bit more local and not rocketry related - why are Gamecocks better than Tigers?

LOL..... This is not a controversial topic.... It's just a fact!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Ok, you know that I am in college now. One of my classes is English 101.... Good old writing class...... We have to write 4 essays..... I have completed 3 of the 4..... So far, I have written only about rockets (I am a maniac)

.....This leads me up to my question.......

I want ideas for a "rocket" or "space" paper.

I have been thinking about the following subjects;

1. ATF......:kill: and the rocketry hobbie

2. NASA...... needs a bigger budget (to get the space program back on track)

3. Space Exploration....... Private vs. Government (spaceshipone)

I did mine on spinoffs and why the space program should be funded "when kids are starving in XXXXX". Bottom line was that if NASA were allowed to profit from their inventions, the patent licenses from just 4 areas of development (medical telemetry, cryogenics, microelectronics and systems analysis software) would have resulted in a 450% return on investment (350% profit) from the Apollo program, funding even more research, and resulting in the incalculable "profit" in lives saved.

Originally posted by DynaSoar
I did mine on spinoffs and why the space program should be funded "when kids are starving in XXXXX". Bottom line was that if NASA were allowed to profit from their inventions, the patent licenses from just 4 areas of development (medical telemetry, cryogenics, microelectronics and systems analysis software) would have resulted in a 450% return on investment (350% profit) from the Apollo program, funding even more research, and resulting in the incalculable "profit" in lives saved.

Very interesting topic....... That makes you think a little......

Originally posted by DynaSoar:
. . . patent licenses from just 4 areas of development (medical telemetry, cryogenics, microelectronics and systems analysis software) . . .

The US space programs (and the US ICBM development programs) are the reason you can read this note on a computer screen.

Those efforts provided the push to develop electronics small enough to put in a missile, fast enough to compute real-time data, cheap enough to make availiable in large numbers. Your PC's great-grandparents came directly from the missile programs.

So think of it this way: without our country's past development of missiles and weaponry, we probably would not yet have Ipods, plasma TVs, ATMs, and all the other little ways that modern electronics have become part of our lives.

Back