3D Printing Ender 6 CoreXY Printer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Newest addition to my fleet (and I do not mean the Benchy)...

I wanted a larger print area as well as a CoreXY printer to see if I can get print times down on larger nose cones, transitions, etc... @cwbullet pointed out the Voron kits but I just could not justify the budget ($ or time) right now -- I may kick myself later but this was 1/2 the cost and in stock at my local Micro Center. Anyway, I will add some print results and other feedback here as I mess around with this.

Some tradeoffs with Ender 6 but finally got prints adhering to the carborundum glass bed (increased bed temperature was a big help). I am going to try to double the speed and print another benchy after this one to see how fast I can push things. Likely need an extruder upgrade to really get the most throughput on this (but need to carefully weigh upgrade costs vs. better printer). Will also probably go up to a bigger print nozzle for bigger models but excited to have 400mm of height to work with.

I did add the CR touch for automatic bed leveling (annoying that the wire it comes with is not long enough for this printer but a quick splice of a section of network cable did the trick). For now I am going to stick to PLA on this printer but need to enclose the top at some point and figure out how to shorten the filament lead / feed distance.

1659616336625.jpeg

How fast are you printing?

Initial settings defaulted to half this, but I just amped things up to these settings:

1659622951331.png

If that goes well (looks like it is printing fine -- so much so that I am worried that it is printing the previous version with slower settings, I will check total print speed). After this, I will shift over to a big nose cone and try to increase wall speed (or maybe increase all speeds by 50%) to see how it does.

I switched over to Cura for the Ender 6 since I was not confident that Prusa had good settings (but probably 6 and 1/2 dozen).

Initial settings defaulted to half this, but I just amped things up to these settings:

View attachment 530874

If that goes well (looks like it is printing fine -- so much so that I am worried that it is printing the previous version with slower settings, I will check total print speed). After this, I will shift over to a big nose cone and try to increase wall speed (or maybe increase all speeds by 50%) to see how it does.

I switched over to Cura for the Ender 6 since I was not confident that Prusa had good settings (but probably 6 and 1/2 dozen).
Do you recommend Cura over Prusa Slicer for pretty much anything besides the Prusa printers or is it just specific to the ender 6?

There is no trade-off with a Voron if you do not mind tinkering for a while. It is not a Prusa, but it is not bad.

Back