Endeavor, VAB, Neil Armstrong Ceremony @ KSC - 8/31/12

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
On Friday 8/31 I took the day off of work to head over to KSC and take in some final historic moments in NASA. I hadn't been to KSC in nearly 10 years so I was overdue for a visit anyways, but what made this visit special was the limited time "Behind the Scenes" tour of the VAB where the Shuttle Endeavor was parked awaiting its departure to California. It was surreal to see the shuttle this close, as well as taking in the massive size of that enormous hangar, and bittersweet to attend the KSC memorial service for Neil Armstrong. To say the least, I got my money's worth on this visit. Attached are photos from that visit. I only wish our time in the VAB and photo op with the shuttle was longer. Given the number of visitors, everyone was jockeying for position to photograph the shuttle.

Neil_A_Ceremony.jpgEndeavor2_BW_180dpi.jpgVAB_Exterior.jpgAssembly_Gantry.jpgEndeaver_1.jpg

And some more...since I know this is a picture happy forum. :)

SatV_Engines.jpgGemini_Rocket.jpgLunar_Theater.jpgCapsule.jpgOrion_Capsule.jpg

Maybe a few more....I don't think anyone dislikes pictures.

SatV_USFlag.jpgSpaceSuit.jpgTransport_Vehicle.jpgSaturn_1B.jpgSatV_Mural.jpg

Those are neat shots, Eugene... I was just out there back in July... took the VAB tour... the NASA TV folks were in there filming the tour when we went through... since they just started that tour again after 35 years of not allowing the public inside the VAB due to the dangers of the SRB's... so we might have been on NASA TV... I dunno since it seems no cable company in Florida carries NASA-TV (I had to rely on the computer to watch the Curiosity landing via webcast). It was cool because we went back to KSC later that day after the landing at @$$-AM...

Got a ton of pics of course... :) Later! OL JR :)

Eugene, you've got skills. Those are great pics!

Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Greg

Thanks Eugune. I look forward to visiting KSC some day, but for now, photos like yours will have to do!

Back