Enabling Galileo GPS on U-Blox M8N

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecarson

Reaction score
I've been experimenting the last few days with my U-blox M8N GPS receiver modules. One a stand alone chip I intend for rocket tracking, and the other embedded within a quadcopter navigation module.

The United States has the GPS system satellites, and Russia has the GLONASS system. The European Union has been launching satellites for a newer system called Galileo. Last month, a few more satellites became operational, and several more are in orbit but still being commissioned. I read where the Galileo system should be a fully operational stand alone system by sometime next year. In the mean time, one can track the extra data from the operational satellites for possible extra precision.

Using U-center, a free software from U-Blox, I enabled both chips to receive the Galileo. The M8N chip can receive up to three systems simultaneously. A yet to be released U-Blox F9 series chip, purports to be able to receive 4 systems at once. That could be the Chinese Beidou system in addition to the three already mentioned.

Here are some screen shots of what I did. These are from U-center. I went into configuration view, and selected GNSS. This pops up the various satellite systems available. On both my M8N chips from the factory, only the GPS and GLONASS systems, along with the WAAS augmentation were enabled. Selecting the Galileo checkbox, and hitting "send" completes this part.

Since the Galileo system sends out NMEA 4.1 data, that must also be changed. Both my factory chips were set at NMEA 4.0 from the factory. Once again, select and send. The second screenshot depicts this. This does not affect GPS or GLONASS data.

From a cold start it usually takes up to 2 hours for the chip to gather all the required data (indoors). If the chip module has an onboard battery backed memory, the satellite data can be stored for faster acquisition. My chip has a weak battery, and usually loses the information after 30 minutes of no power.

After awhile, the satellites will start appearing. The little flags along the bar graph indicate which satellites are being tracked. The bar graph will switch from blue to green when usable navigation data is being received and incorporated into the position. The third screenshot shows 8 Galileo satellites being tracked, and 2 to 3 already giving usable data. This was after 1 hour from cold start. The little blue flags with the stars (European Union) indicate those particular satellites. NMEA string "GAGSV" verifies that the packet is from a Galileo satellite.

For rocket tracking purposes, I can get the satellite data, along with GPS and GLONASS on GNSS Commander for Android, but as yet have not tried this with Rocket Locator.

Great info. Thanks.

Do you have any positive confirmation if the M8N receivers are able to go above 50k' and still provide data? I am planning a 50k'+ flight for April next year and I am having trouble confirming which ones are ok in that envelope. If you have any solid, confirmed info it would be appreciated. I have pinged Ublox and received no reply. I guess it is time to escalate the enquiry.

I recall reading from somewhere,and this is just from memory, that 50K feet was the limit of the envelope. I'll go back through the voluminous chip data, and see if I can find where that was.

Thanks. This is very muddy water as requirements have changed a while back, and also the manufacturers don't necessarily comply absolutely to the requirements. They can actually be more restrictive :(. IIRC the requirement is above both a certain speed above a certain height. Some manufacturers go "no position" if either is exceeded and/or have more conservative limits than the laws allow, just to make life difficult for us. Trying to get actual information is proving difficult.

Well, it appears as if there is a bit more flexibility if one desires to do dynamic tracking. Albeit with limits. These 2 pages extracted from the M8 series documentation, indicates that special modes are accessible via the NAV5 command in configuration view. One mode, allows up to 50,000 meters altitude (I remembered something about 50K), however other things must be traded off such as precision of 2D data.

My intended use at this time, was simply to find a downed rocket within less than 2 feet. The other modes, specifically "Airborne <4g" is intended for "extremely dynamic environments". I figure that must apply to rockets in flight.

Use for dynamic tracking appears to be limited under international agreements. But there does seem to be the option. I have no way to test this without actually sending a module up to 50K meters.

Attachments

• M8N Modes.pdf
    155.8 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Brilliant information! Thanks ecarson :). The table at the bottom of page 19 is what I have been looking for. It basically says, I think, (when in airborne <2g mode) if I exceed 100m/s vertical or 250m/s horizontal then the altitude is checked and if it exceeds 50000m (164k') then I don't get position information. So I think I am reading that I should still be able to receive position info for the whole flight (I am not going to over 164k' this year!) since although I exceed 100m/s vertical I am within the sanity check value of the altitude. Very happy with that. :):):)

Thanks again!

I use the NEO-M8N modules in my flight computers. I experienced some problems with the <4G setting, namely losing lock and not regaining it after apogee. My fix was to use the <4G setting all the way to apogee, and then reset to default settings after apogee. I haven' had any trouble since, and now get data at a 8 samples per second all the way to apogee, and then once per second afterwards. I'm not sure what the problem was, and it definitely could be my setup or something else that I'm doing wrong.

I also can definitely confirm that it will report data when exceeding 100 m/s vertical velocity, but still less than 50K meters. I have several flights exceeding 300 m/s where this has never been a problem (all well below 50K meters).

Back