Quantcast

Embry-Riddle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
I made it to Embry-Riddle okay. Except for the crazy mutant mosquitos eating me alive everything is going very well. My roommate is cool and our room is starting to look less like prison due to some nice posters we bought :D. I'm very excited about starting my classes next Monday.
 

rstaff3

Oddroc-eteer
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
11,716
Reaction score
8
Best of luck, this should be among the best years of your life.
 

jetra2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
2,792
Reaction score
2
SWEET! You're going where I wanna go! I'll be there starting in probably the fall 2006 semester, if I get accepted - I want to finish my A.A. at the local community college...then I want to go to ERAU and major in Aviation Business Management.

Hey...are there any girls there, and if there are, do tell! How far away are you from the beach, how close are the dorms from the campus/classrooms, etc., etc. If you could tell me how it is there, I would be VERY appreciative!!!

Thanks, and good luck!

Jason
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
When I read the title to this thread, I was expecting to read a puzzle of some sort.

Seriously (although I really haven't heard of that college)

Best of luck! Remember to have fun every chance you get! You only get to be a college student for what you will look back upon as a very short time in your life. As rstaff3 said, these should/will be among the best years of your life.

And take my advice - don't start cutting classes and staying out all night drinking beer and chasing girls until at least the second week of classes. :p
 

jetra2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
2,792
Reaction score
2
Hey, Ozymandius, don't take my first post as if I'm a real slacking student or anything...I could really care less about the beach, and only 3/4 of the way about girls...but I'm just trying to clear up some rumors I've heard.

You have a PM.

Jason
 

lalligood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by jetra2
Hey...are there any girls there, and if there are, do tell! How far away are you from the beach, how close are the dorms from the campus/classrooms, etc., etc. If you could tell me how it is there, I would be VERY appreciative!!!
jetra2,

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but ERAU is one of the WORST schools in the entire US when it comes to girl-guy ratios. If I'm not mistaken, it's somewhere around 16:1 guys to girls :eek: At least that's what I remember when I lived in the greater Daytona area growing up. HOWEVER, Daytona Beach Community College (where I graduated & came to Orlando to go to UCF) is a mere 1/2 mile away & the girl-guy ratio is MUCH more favorable :D And there's the beach...
 

Chilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
1
I've heard that about ERAU, but that's pretty much true for the whole aviation business.

Ozymandias, what are you planning to major in?
 

jetra2

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2009
Messages
2,792
Reaction score
2
Originally posted by lalligood
mere 1/2 mile away & the girl-guy ratio is MUCH more favorable :D
Well...I know where I'll be doing my homework! :p:):D

Jason
 

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by jetra2
SWEET! You're going where I wanna go! I'll be there starting in probably the fall 2006 semester, if I get accepted - I want to finish my A.A. at the local community college...then I want to go to ERAU and major in Aviation Business Management.

Hey...are there any girls there, and if there are, do tell! How far away are you from the beach, how close are the dorms from the campus/classrooms, etc., etc. If you could tell me how it is there, I would be VERY appreciative!!!

Thanks, and good luck!

Jason
We are really close to the beach but there's very few girls. There's about 200 or less in my freshmen class I think. Of those, I'd say about 50% are spoken for. :(
 

thomasrau

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Cheer up, back in the 80's when I went there you needed bloodhounds to find a woman :p

But those were good days none the less.
 

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Chilly
I've heard that about ERAU, but that's pretty much true for the whole aviation business.

Ozymandias, what are you planning to major in?
Sad but true. In my high school AP Physics class there was only one girl. She goes to Dartmouth now for structual engineering. All the other girls took biology. I don't want to be sexist or anything but I think the math scares a lot of the girls away from engineering. I'm majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I'd like to get a minor in flight but that will add another $50,000 or so to my tuition. Woohoo! Break out the student loan forms! Does anyone want to buy some rockets? :p
 

thomasrau

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
A less expensive method (but no credits) is to team up with an airscience person that has their instructor rating and looking to get hours in their log book. Find a decent rental plane and start flying. When I was there I knew a guy that owned the Daytona Beach Flying club, got a 172(IFR) for $30/hr wet (47ER a former riddle plane) and my instructor worked for beers at happy hour.
 

Chilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
1
Sounds like you chose a good major! I was hoping you wouldn't say "management". There are too many people in the industry with manager degrees that are being way, way underutilized. If flying doesn't work out, do they offer dispatcher licensing? That's an excellent way to get solid operations knowledge.

Every time my wife tells me rocketry is an expensive hobby, I remind her how much flying used to cost us...I probably won't climb back in an airplane again until retirement (at least the little planes). :p
 

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Chilly
Sounds like you chose a good major! I was hoping you wouldn't say "management". There are too many people in the industry with manager degrees that are being way, way underutilized. If flying doesn't work out, do they offer dispatcher licensing? That's an excellent way to get solid operations knowledge.

Every time my wife tells me rocketry is an expensive hobby, I remind her how much flying used to cost us...I probably won't climb back in an airplane again until retirement (at least the little planes). :p
I think the flight will work out. The instructors told me I can start next year after I get used to the shcool. I really want to get involved in the sport avaition club so I can fly one of the school's Pitts biplanes.
 

Chilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
1
GEEZ - you must have money (or loans) to burn! The insurance costs alone would be outrageous for a Pitts.

My employer has a pretty good flight school. We've got a couple of new 172s, a 310 twin, and an SR22. Rental prices are comparatively cheap - I think Cessna practically gave us the airplanes because we bought so many Citation X's...
 

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
I just got my syllabus for world history. I decided to read the first chapter ahead of time. I can't think of any better way to spend a Friday night. Almost everyone else on my floor went to a frat party out on the beach. Oh well. I'm not going to waste my mom's money. I need to set up a routine now so I can stick to it the whole year. I love to go out and party but I'm not about to party my way out of school. I seriously doubt some of these people will be here next semester anyway.
 

Chilly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
1,165
Reaction score
1
Good! There's plenty of time to have fun in college but it definitely needs to be kept in perspective. The sooner you get into good habits, the better off you'll be.

Besides, I always thought Saturday nights were more fun anyway. Never had much energy on Fridays at the end of a long week!
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Originally posted by Ozymandias
I just got my syllabus for world history. I decided to read the first chapter ahead of time. I can't think of any better way to spend a Friday night. Almost everyone else on my floor went to a frat party out on the beach. Oh well. I'm not going to waste my mom's money. I need to set up a routine now so I can stick to it the whole year. I love to go out and party but I'm not about to party my way out of school. I seriously doubt some of these people will be here next semester anyway.
Aw, heck -

I'd recommend going to the parties and making more friends. It will make your college experience more "meaningful."

That's what Friday nights are for - you can always study on those boring Saturday and Sunday afternoons when nothing else is going on....
 

thomasrau

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2003
Messages
376
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Except for the crazy mutant mosquitos eating me alive everything is going very well.
If you like the skeeters, just wait til Love-Bug season.
 

Ozymandias

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2014
Messages
544
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Fore Check
Aw, heck -

I'd recommend going to the parties and making more friends. It will make your college experience more "meaningful."

That's what Friday nights are for - you can always study on those boring Saturday and Sunday afternoons when nothing else is going on....
That's what I did today. I went to the soccer game and the pool party afterwards. I might fly rockets but I'm not that big of a nerd. :) Now I just need to finish reading about Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation. :eek:
 

Gus

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
1,684
Reaction score
49
Ozy,

My condolences to you and your fellow students and faculty on the loss of your two professors.

(For those unaware, 2 of Embry-Riddle's faculty were killed this weekend practicing for an air show in Arizona.)

I know you're just starting, and an event like this may cast a pall over what should have been a very exciting time for you, but hang in there.

Gus
 

lalligood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
1,975
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by thomasrau
If you like the skeeters, just wait til Love-Bug season.
Yeah, I would've mentioned that too but seeing how he's already having to deal with the mosquitoes & there's a hurricane looming over the horizon... :eek: I figured it best not to scare the cr@p outta him so soon!
 

ajaerospace

Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hey, that's what I (James) am doing for the most part as well. Anthony might be doing that as well, but I can only speak for my plans. I have to finish the application and get my Flight Examination Medical and hopefully I can start this fall. I'm planning on majoring in Aerospace Engineering, and getting my license and instrument rating while I'm there. Then, hopefully, I'll pull off a job with NASA as a Propulsions Specialist and qualify to be a Mission Specialist on a Space Shuttle flight sometime in the distant future.
 
Top