Elmer's Gel vs. Elmer's White

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I own Elmer's gel glue. I curious does it have the same strength as Elmer's white glue. I know for a fact it's a lot cleaner and definately less messy and runny. I've been using Elmer's wood glue partially in fear of the strength issues and I believe wood glue in better than regular anyway. I hope I could get some insight.

mkmilion,
I started using the gel glue, but didn't like it very well. It seems to stay to soft. I was using it because I was out of white glue. The gel does stay put better, but I like the white glue much better. Wether its stronger or not....That I'm not sure of.
Larry

I do know that the gel is descently strong, because I used to use it for putting up my 9" mohawk. I just never got around to using white glue for it. And now I don't have it.

I like the Elmers exterior Yellow carpenters wood glue. It is somewhat thicker than white glue, and dries much faster. It theroy, it is more waterproof too. I wouldn't use the blue gel.

I have not worked with it, so I am automatically DQ'd from making any authoritative comments on gel. I just don't see how that stuff stays soft and gooey and still holds on to anything. I would try silicone caulk/sealant/adhesive first.
As to elmer's white v.s. yellow (wood) glue, I have never seen a glue failure with either. If you are worried about one of these being water soluble, I would point out that there are many other parts of the model rocket that you will have problems with first, if you get your rocket wet enough for the glue to soften.
I think the biggest problem with white glue is that it is not very easy to sand. It can be incompatible with a lot of paints (unless you primer it first) and cause crazing.
For me, the hands-down advantage of elmer's white glue is that you can buy gobs of it dirt cheap at the annual back-to-school sales. Pick up a dozen or two of those little bottles and they will last all year.

Latest posts

Back