Ellis Mtn 24mm G37 has anyone used one yet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
So, has anyone purchased an Ellis Mtn 24mm G37 yet?

I am building a large mid power rocket right now, and am thinking about using this motor in it...

Fred

Fred, I just bought one because it has a 3 sec burn !
I sure would like to have a thrustcurve(and for the new G-20-3 also)
looks like it would be great in a beefed up estes kit like the big v2 or phoenix !

I plan on flying the G37 tomorrow ..I'll give a report here

Originally posted by astronboy

I am building a large mid power rocket right now, and am thinking about using this motor in it...

Fred

A friend flew a seriously overbuilt Estes Patriot on a single use Ellis G motor at NSL. I do not know if it was 24mm or 29mm If not for radio tracking, he would never have recovered it.

Photo of the boost can be seen at www.aarg.org/nsl/gee-sun/pages/page_21.html

Bill

I betcha that the G20 would kick some serious butt in an Aerotech Mustang...droool!

Jason

the downside is that they only offer a 3 second delay !

Mine blew out the front of the motor about 15 feet off the ground sending my rocket to the ground in a ball of fire here is a pic of the blow out

that is an odd loking flame on the Patriot launch. Itis really long, skinny, and curvy/wavy. Is it supposed to be like that?

How does a G37-10 on an Aura sound? Frightful, I agree! A little glass on the fins and it's ready to go. I launched my Aura on an Ellis Mountain 24mm long burn F today. It was amazing! Something like 2500 feet to 3000 feet. I was getting close to our waiver!

I forgot. I had no problem with the F when I used a Firefly igniter. They have extra small heads to fit in those tiny nozzles. They were 10 for $15. I can't remember where I got them. I hope someone can fill me in.

Have you already put glass on the Aura's fins? If not it's not really necessary. A G37 has a long burn but the thrust is rather minimal.
Although I can't help you with the Firefly igniters, sounds familiar though.

I haven't glassed the fins yet. I know it's a long burn but I was thinking of just 1 layer of 3/4 oz cloth since an Aura doesn't have much of a tab on the fins. I also want to protect the fins on the way down under streamer. I got my igniters at LDRS 23. They were suggested for the motor.

Originally posted by Bowhunter
Mine blew out the front of the motor about 15 feet off the ground sending my rocket to the ground in a ball of fire here is a pic of the blow out

Thanks for the report and the pic.

no i havent seen one but yesterday I saw one used in a Vaughn Bros. Extreme 24 :D

needless to say, the owner was not expecting to get it back.

Originally posted by SpartaChris
So what does it mean when the chart says the motor is 36% G? The chart is at https://www.geocities.com/ellismountain/su.html

-Chris

When an engine spec says it is X% of Y, it means the power of that motor is X% of the maximum power alloted to motor type Y.

In this case, the engine carries 36% of the maximum power that could still be classified as a G motor.

Originally posted by astronboy

Fred

I'm having trouble finding people who'll actually sell and ship them, especially the HPR motors. They give different reasons.

Originally posted by SpartaChris
What reasons do they give for not selling/shipping that motor?

-Chris

Not shipping them at this time.
Not shipping hazmat at this time.
(Similar to these two: selling them at launches only)
Requires BATF license.*

Some just don't list the S/U at all, but that's different.

I checked with the listing of dealers from E.M.'s home page.
I also inquired directly.

*This one bother me most, though I suspect the rest have similar reasons: they're afraid of BATF coming down on them despite the court ruling re: S/U motors exempt as "propellant actuated devices".

I used the Ellis G37 in my LOC Stovi at XPRS last month. It was absolutely the perfect motor choice for that rocket. I built it with the 7-24mm mounts, so if you want to fly on just one the choices of 24mm motors are few. I've got some RMS F39's as well. I liked the G37 so much I got a couple more.

I have some pictures of the flight which start at the URL below:
https://www.e2scopes.com/rockets/XPRS/source/stovi1.html

Eric Albrecht

GL-P, the AURA is under 1lb, i thought there was no waiver required...it could go 50,000ft.
on a G-35 LOC says it will do 4500ft. im planning on flying my AURA on F20-7W's at the next CMASS launch. the only way i'd glass the AURA is if i was using something like a G80 or better. short burn, high thrust.

i was using a small F motor in my Aura so it was pretty low

i think it was doctor rocket who offered a 29mm I reloadable casing....now THAT would be NUTTY in an 8oz aura.

Back