elliptical nose cone for upscale design

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a thread about it here somewhere that shows it fits LOC tubing, which also implies it fits AeroTech tubing.
Then it might fit PML tubing. I'd probably have to build up the outside with a thick layer of primer since the phenolic is about 0.02 larger in diameter than LOC tubing. Or epoxy a 1/2" length of body tubing onto the shoulder, and sand that to blend in the transition.
For $25 I could give it a try for a 4" Omega I want to build.

Success Chris, I am almost done printing the coupler that will fit into the NC. It is printed in white PETG. When done I will post pics.
Wow, J.R.! Thanks!

After more than 2 decades "on the shelf", this project is suddenly snapping together. I emailed LOC to see if they could laser cut the elliptical fins. To see if they could do it, they just went ahead and did it (thank you, Mike!). They're going to be much smoother and even than anything I could do with a bandsaw and belt sander.

I am fascinated by the 3D printing. The idea that if you can't find something to meets your needs, you can just make it, is awesome.

Thanks again!

The Mega Red Max cone is available, or was last week, from Estes as a standalone part.
I received my Estes 4" Mega Red Max nosecone, and here is an update...

It will not fit PML QT, or phenolic tubing. It might fit LOC cardboard if you sand the shoulder down to fit, but there is not much material there to start with. It does fit Wildman, 4" G12 tubing, however -- a good candidate for my 4" Omega upscale!!:D It'll save some weight (more than 1 pound) over an FG nosecone.

Omega Dual Stage 3D 3.png

You are very welcome Chris, enjoy it and keep building awesome rockets!!
Well... I'm running out of excuses to delay this build any longer. I have 90% of all the parts now, and just need to iron out some details (like the nose cone tracker bay). But this is the hard part.
20230802_133806.jpg

Luckily I have plenty of help and supervison...
20230802_133324.jpg
20230802_133635.jpg

I received my Estes 4" Mega Red Max nosecone, and here is an update...

It will not fit PML QT, or phenolic tubing. It might fit LOC cardboard if you sand the shoulder down to fit, but there is not much material there to start with. It does fit Wildman, 4" G12 tubing, however -- a good candidate for my 4" Omega upscale!!:D It'll save some weight (more than 1 pound) over an FG nosecone.

There's another thread where someone posted a photo of the Estes 4" Mega Red Max nosecone in LOC 4" cardboard. It fits perfectly.

Nice!!
What are you using for the boat tail?
AeroPack TA5439 tailcone retainer. It's not true to scale, but it'll do for now. If I could have found the right conical, 4", fiberglass nosecone I would cut a scale tailcone from it, but they are almost as rare as elliptical nosecones... Almost.

Last edited:
There's another thread where someone posted a photo of the Estes 4" Mega Red Max nosecone in LOC 4" cardboard. It fits perfectly.
I just tried mine again. PML QT is a REALLY tight fit -- too tight. Both PML phenolic and LOC cardboard are very snug. I know snug is good, but I'd rather have the NC be a relatively easy fit, then adjust the tightness with tape at the launch sight. That way I can take into account the temperature and humidity conditions of the day.

Wow Chris, that looks awesome! It will be a great looking and flying rocket!!!
I hope to have it ready to go for NSL-East, and re-certify L2.

The shoulder of the nosecone fits the phenolic tubing perfectly. 👍
The 38mm motor tube and CRs pictured were going to be a tracker bay to go in the NC, but I decided to make that 54mm also. New parts on order.😁

Back