Electronics Switches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Those of you who use altimeters for deployment:

To arm the electronics do most of you use simple slide switches?

I was considering key switches or possibly .100" jumpers.

If you use a slide switch, I would think on would be down to prevent acceleration or slipstream from disengaging the electronics

Any thoughts?

I have found that a simple wire twist is the best way to do it. Just feed the wires out of the vent hole, twist them to turn it on, wrap some electrical tape around it, shove it back in the hole. Not susceptible to G-force, and is pretty idiot proof. If you put a length of streamer on the end of the wires while you are taking it out to the pad, its pretty hard not to recognize that you have to do something with the wires.

Sure, twisting wires is nice and easy, but.....
What if something goes wrong and you need to disarm the rocket? How are you going to get those wires apart that you twisted, taped and shoved back in a hole?

ALWAYS use some mechanism that will allow you (or anybody who finds your rocket) to disarm and safe the rocket.

Here is a photo of how my switches on my Ebay's look.
This is my L3's EBay.
Anyone finding this rocket can understand the words ARMED and SAFE.
Don't risk injury to some kid who finds your rocket before you.

Fred Azinger
TRA 9556
Prefect TRA 049 Portland

Originally posted by solrules
I have found that a simple wire twist is the best way to do it. Just feed the wires out of the vent hole, twist them to turn it on, wrap some electrical tape around it, shove it back in the hole.

For safety you really shouldn't shove them back through. Then you can't disarm them. I tape them to the outside of my airframe if I'm using the twist method.

Otherwise I use a turn switch found on Missileworks website and arm by inserting a screwdriver through a vent hole and arming.

Edward

I have used the little silver toggle switches from rodeo shark on my rockets. Yes, Down is On. My fear is shutoff on landing, especially for the camera. I used to tape them "down" but the last few times, I left them alone, and they stayed on.

If you have access to old computers, the 110V/220V switch in the power supply is good for this use. Just cannibalize the PWS and jumper the wires together in the PWS (IF closed is the normal operation for it, 110V, IIRC) and the PWS is still good, and you have a nice switch that cannot be bumped off. You just flick it with a tweaker when you want to arm it.

A guy this weekend used little toggle switches. Each landing they got bumped off. Next time he decided he would fly with a powerswitch you are talking about or just twist them.

Edward

Back