Electronically ignorant so what altimeter for me?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got my Level 2 bird ordered and on the way, planning on attempting my level two this coming spring.

Rocket will be a BSD Thor 4". Motor will probably be an AT J350.

Altitude will be approaching the 3500' range so I'm going to also attempt my first flight with electronics.

Any suggestions on an altimeter for my application. I want something that will give me the altitude and be able to fire drogue and main chutes.

I am completely ignorant to electronics, so ease of use is of utmost importance. Ask me the difference between a parralel and series circuit and i'll look at you with a dumb stare.

This part has me the most concerned, building the alt bay and figuring out the wiring will all be new to me.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

I used the Missile Works RRC2 for my level 2. I was just like you, I had never used electronics before. I had only been flying High Power for about a month. It's super easy to use and it reads the altitude to the foot.

For ease of use, I really like my Perfectflite MAWD. It is also very small and compact, and fairly inexpensive (as altimeters go) at $99.95.

I have the perfectflite altimeter MWA something like that but it is the $100 one and it can do all the stuff you want but I have not used mine in fear I might launch it and never see it again.

You always want to prepare for the worst when doing rocketry.

Rocketman 13

I have an RRC2. Great altimeter, took me about two seconds to set up and comes with a great instruction manual. I will probably get another one as a backup for the one I have.

Originally posted by Rocketman 13
...but I have not used mine in fear I might launch it and never see it again...
So you've got a $100 paper weight! :eek:

Thanks for the info guys...

I've decided to go with the RRC2 for the time being as i've got local friends that are familiar with it.

Although it sounds pretty simple.

The Level 2 bird is built but unfortunately the after Christmas lacking of funds right now has the rest of the project slowed down a little bit.

I'll be picking up the altimeter, a transferrable altimeter bay, and a 38mm motor set in the next month or two and then I'll be about set, still plenty of time before the spring flying season.

Back