Electrical panel question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m85476585

Reaction score
Anyone know what a Uanium is? (That's not a typo) Apparently it has a 30A circuit in our electrical panel. It is probably an abbreviation for something, refrigerator is "reefer", but I can't think of what it could be. All the usual large loads I can think of have their own circuits--AC, dryer, oven, etc.

If you dont have a dialisis or life support machine, then unplug it and find out whats not working?

A 30A circuit? What kind of receptacle is it? 120V or 240V?

If it is a 120V circuit, 30A receptacles are VERY uncommon. And a 30A breaker feeding a 15 or 20A receptacle is an electrical code violation (and fire hazard).

The microwave is built-in, so I can't see the receptacle, but it is a double breaker, so I assume the circuit is 240V.

It isn't any more powerful than a standard counter-top model, though, so I don't know what all the extra power is for.

Last edited:
An Advantium (microwave+halogen element) oven takes 240V/30A and sounds kind of like Uanium, but we don't have one, and they are very expensive (around $1800).

The microwave is built-in, so I can't see the receptacle, but it is a double breaker, so I assume the circuit is 240V.

It isn't any more powerful than a standard counter-top model, though, so I don't know what all the extra power is for.

The browning element uses a lot more power than the microwave itself....

No browning element. The instructions call for a 15A 120V dedicated circuit.

No browning element. The instructions call for a 15A 120V dedicated circuit.

I would suggest getting a qualified electrician to check the installation out, then. It sounds like the microwave was improperly tapped into a circuit left over from a previous oven or cooktop installation. At the very least, that 2P30A breaker should get replaced with one that will properly protect the receptacle.

Some people had their homes roughed in for 30 amp 240v. circuits to their built in microwave oven locations. If your unit doesn't require that on the nameplate then it is possible that the unit is overfused. It is likely that the electrical workers were told one thing and then the kitchen appliances delivered were completely differant. Happens all the time. Or the microwave isn't original to the home.
Regardless of what happened long ago have a real electrician look into it.
Many possiblilities are going through my head.

Back