Electric Matches - Change from MJG Tech

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMcCauley

Reaction score
Just got word from Mike at MJG Technologies (makers of the J-tek, M-tek), that they are most likely not going to manufacturer ematches with removable shrouds anymore due to new regulations.
The ematches will permanent shrouds.

Dan

I'd like to hear more about this. The last batch we got had no shrouds at all (ordered that way)

Ben

Here is a pic I received of the non removable shroud. Apparently smaller in diameter than the clear or red shrouds offered in the past.

nonremov2.JPG

so are they sealed to the Ematch with something or is it just to tight to pull off without ruining the head?

Ben

they're sealed, no way to pull it off without blowing the comp. this, im sure, is due to the recent fatal accidents having to do with pre-matching fireworks leads in the back of trucks in north carolina. ;)

they're sealed, no way to pull it off without blowing the comp. this, im sure, is due to the recent fatal accidents having to do with pre-matching fireworks leads in the back of trucks in north carolina. ;)

what a suprise!

Ben

Just spoke with Jeff over at MJG Technologies, Per Jeff for our application (ROCKETRY) the New shrouded Ematches WILL work exactly like the old Un-Shrouded ones.

My only concern would be usage with small amounts of BP in a very frangible holder. I would be concerned that the encapsulation of the e-match would cause too much shock upon ignition and displace the BP and container before it had a chance to fully ignite and pressure up? Any others with such concerns? Uncrichie.

i dont think it's a concern...i'll let you know in a few weeks though, i should be getting some MJG ematches for a shoot on the 14th. i'll test some in a cannister on-site.

any idea when these are shipping?

straight from the words of jeff at MJG...

Hey, its Jeff from MJG. I signed up but it won't let me post to this topic for some reason. This new law will not effect Rocketry. It is only for people that install the igniter into the fireworks and transport them. Nothing will change with how you want your igniters.

Jeff

as i suspected, its for what the fireworks industry refers to as "prematched" products. for an electronically fired fireworks show, many display companies will spend a few days ematching their products in anticipation of the show. this saves a lot of time (and labor dollars) during setup of a fireworks show. unfortunately, due to the friction sensitive nature of ematches in general, sometimes rough handling or anything that causes friction to be placed on the ematch, the product can ignite, and with 1.3g fireworks, the shell is lit within milliseconds (quickmatch).

there was an accident this year in North Carolina involving (reportedly) "prematched" product, in which several employees died and a few more were injured. this has been a growing concern in the industry for the past several years as a few accidents of this nature happen each fireworks season.

it looks like there will be seperate specs however for ematches designated for fireworks, or for rocketry application.

perhaps jeff could fill us in a bit more once he figures out how to post. ;)

While Jeff is working on his posting problem he also told me today that Shrouded, Removable shrouds or even No! Shroud Ematches will still be available.

Back