Elastic shock cord and tangled shroud lines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktango22

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Question: is there less risk of tangled shroud lines with an elastic shock cord than with kevlar? Point bring the long Kevlar line is more likely to tangle things up. Still learning after a 35 year break.
Thanks

I can't answer that directly, but I CAN tell you that my shroud lines have been way less tangled ever since I started using fishing snap swivels (the heavier kind of course) on my parachutes. Keeps them separated from the shock cord.
All the rockets I've flown have been with elastic cords. I have a few with Kevlar lines built, but haven't flown yet. I'll have to wait and see if the swivels help there, too.

Question: is there less risk of tangled shroud lines with an elastic shock cord than with kevlar? Point bring the long Kevlar line is more likely to tangle things up. Still learning after a 35 year break.

It might have something to do with how the shock cord, parachute, and shroud lines are packed. Might. I don't know your method, but a common way everything gets fouled is how the components are blown out of the airframe. They can get driven into and through each other during ejection and create quite a mess.

I don't have that much trouble with tangled shroud lines during flight but they can get very tangled on the ground waiting for me to pick up the rocket, and sometimes when I'm walking back to the car. I'm usually in too much of a hurry to straighten everything up and reassemble the rocket before I walk back. I've been using 10' kevlar shock cords in LPR and sometimes they tangle a bit during deployment, sometimes not, but again once the rocket is on the ground there can be problems.

Back