Ejection Charge testing....cant find the OP now that asked the question..but here's what I did....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooked On Rockets

Reaction score
I saw a thread many days ago asking about ejection charges.....looked like they were in the same state that I'm in.....so to speak (cant buy anything larger than a G-80..and has no device to ground test charges because they are flying single use motors)...basically asking how to test charges with no RMS to load only the ejection charge....
Can't find that thread now...but...
Here's what I noticed....after burning a G-80 in a hole in the ground to test ignition... NOZZLE UP-NO EJECTION CHARGE...
and then looking at the spent motor, I noticed that there is nothing that keeps some of the powder charge (blast) from "leaking" out of the BACK of the motor when the delay charge burns away....nothing but a HOLE...
Looks like it's losing some of the charge force which may cause some failure to deploys using standard "chart charges"...
Without ground testing....how do you know? How do you ground test...
I made this to get me on the ground....I've used it twice on my Argent...
It's for 29mm MTubes....
Hope it helps someone to ground test ejection charges.....

Mileage may vary.....

Attachments

• IMG_6567.JPG
    IMG_6567.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 110
Top end, bottom end and side view....

Attachments

• IMG_6568.JPG
    IMG_6568.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_6569.JPG
    IMG_6569.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 96
It's a combination motor mount plug and charge well, correct? I think most people just block the motor mount with an empty casing, but I see where you're headed.

It's a combination motor mount plug and charge well, correct? I think most people just block the motor mount with an empty casing, but I see where you're headed.

Well it is sort of I think....
It's a "29mm deployment charge tester".......

I don't have an empty casing and I don't have a reloadable....so this is to fire an ejection charge with a vent to compensate for open ended hole where the motor burns through the delay charge along with the atmo holes drilled in the body tube....
I've already used it on my ventris....worked great.....
BUT... is the vent hole too big/too small.....
??????

Back