Ejection Charge Sheathing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm preparing for my L1 flight again. I was just getting everything test fitted and was a little concerned about my connection from my 3/8 tubular nylon to the u-bolt. I'm worried about it burning. I will already be sheathing this tubular nylon in 2" tubular nylon to protect it from the heat and flame.

This is my question. My charge container has a little snap on end. What if I were to take another piece of tubular nylon and sheath the end where the flame and bits will come out? The nylon would be sewn shut at one end. It would also be connected to the rest of the harness so it doesn't fly away? Anyone think this is a good idea for keeping stuff from flame frying?

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
Okay, so I'm preparing for my L1 flight again. I was just getting everything test fitted and was a little concerned about my connection from my 3/8 tubular nylon to the u-bolt. I'm worried about it burning. I will already be sheathing this tubular nylon in 2" tubular nylon to protect it from the heat and flame.

I'm with up to here, but not sure why you would protect tubular nylon with more tubular nylon? Why not use a nomex sleeve?

This is my question. My charge container has a little snap on end. What if I were to take another piece of tubular nylon and sheath the end where the flame and bits will come out? The nylon would be sewn shut at one end. It would also be connected to the rest of the harness so it doesn't fly away? Anyone think this is a good idea for keeping stuff from flame frying?

I'm really not sure what you're trying to do now. Putting tubular nylon over the end of your ejection charge?

If all your worried about is protecting your recovery harness from
the ejection charge, then sheath it in nomex. Pratt Hobbies sells it IIRC

I'm using the TN to protect it cause it's what I have around. :) I will eventually get a piece of nomex or some Tubular kevlar.

Yes, I am putting a piece of tubular nylon over the end of the ejection charge. I do have the recovery harness double sheathed until it comes out of the rocket. I also have some dog barf and a nomex chute protector to protect the chute. I was just thinking that this would help with keeping flaming bits from scorching the top of the altimeter bay and the tube. Also, it would be an extra measure of protection that is lightweight. The charge would then fire into the TN, and then that would help keep the BP from just scattering everywhere.

Just an idea.

Edward

I spray the inside of my tubes with header paint it works good you could try that and its cheap

I spray the inside of my tubes with header paint it works good you could try that and its cheap

Back