Ejection cap?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
In all the 29mm and 38mm Aerotech reloads I've ever gotten, there is a large red cap that fits over the forward closure. I'm assuming it is designed to be used in lieu of the tape disc to contain the BP charge. But it fits very tight, and I've always been afraid to use them. I've always used the included tape disc, and masking tape. Has anyone ever used the cap? Any problems?

ejection_cap01.jpg

ejection_cap02.jpg

I use the cap all the time. That includes when I use a 29mm HPR in my PML Callisto with piston ejection. I only use 5g of powder in it so the piston doesn't push everything off too hard. The cap works fine even with only the 5g of powder.

I don't use powder in my DD rockets so I've collected some extra caps. Hold on to them. The AT reloads that come in the yellow tubes instead of the plastic bags, don't have the plastic cap. I've been using the caps in the reloads I got in the tubes. IIRC AT is going to start including the caps in the reloads in the tubes too, but there are still a lot in the supply line and I haven't gotten one yet.

I use them when I can and have never had a problem. Being slightly paranoid, most of the time I am adding an extra helping of BP so I end up using tape.

In all the 29mm and 38mm Aerotech reloads I've ever gotten, there is a large red cap that fits over the forward closure. I'm assuming it is designed to be used in lieu of the tape disc to contain the BP charge. But it fits very tight, and I've always been afraid to use them. I've always used the included tape disc, and masking tape. Has anyone ever used the cap? Any problems?
Have been afraid to use these because they are very tight preventing them from coming off with the ejection charge? That isn't an issue, they will blow off or blow the face off the cap every time if the charge goes off.
Greg

I had the same concerns, but they work just fine.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?132676-Aerotech-RMS-ejection-caps

Yes, hang on to them because you never know what jumble of parts and incorrect instructions you will get when you open your next Aerotech reload. They are like a box of chocolates.....

The bigger red caps are also handy little trays for holding shear pins or rivets in my range box!

Back