Ejection baffles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terrier

Reaction score
I have built a three section baffle system for my scratch RIM-2 Terrier two-stage rocket out of 1/8" ply and need to know it the ejection charge of a Aerotech RMS F or G load will burn the ply. If so what do I coat the ply with to withstand the heat. I have not assembled the baffle as of yet. Pics TBA.

How close is the baffle to the end of the motor.

Usually a coating of epoxy is fine if there is some gap between the motor an the baffle.

it probably wont damage it too bad, think about the top of the motor tubes that get hit directly with ejection charges all the time, they do get burned but not too badly. You could cover it with epoxy which would probably work or you could try some high heat paint

Well the baffles is about 5-6 inches from the end of the motor. And it's in a 2.61 dia tube, if thet helps anyone.

terrier,

I've never had a problem with any of my baffles and they are all coated with epoxy.

I use stove paint for high temp surfaces. It's a spray paint designed for wood burning stoves and such. I use Rustoleum's. Epoxy should be fine: it's the binder for carbon composites. CyA should also work, since it was originally designed for the shuttle's heat shield tiles, but it'd be expensive to coat an entire surface with it.

You could also try a hybrid between baffles and a cooler matrix. Per the August 2003 NAR Member Guidebook, p. 44 (originally a post on r.m.r by Bert Harless); a chunk of Chore Boy, a stainless steel mesh for scrubbing pots and pans, can permenantly replace wadding and other heat protectors. It absorbs the heat and lets the gasses through. A bit of this glued to the baffles would protect them as well as everything above, and probably require much less of this stuff than if it were used alone. It doesn't say so, but I suspect this stuff would also grab any larger particles blown out by the ejection charge.

Thanks guys for all the info. I think that it'll all be used to some extent. I like the idea of a cooling core would help.

Terrier

Back