Quantcast

Ejection baffles

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

greybeard

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a new Estes V2 kit and incorporating an Apogee baffle to replace wadding. The Apogee baffle is basically a coupler with wood bulkheads cut to slow ejection gas long enough to cool. Anyone have any experience with adding steel wool inside a baffle to further reduce heat?

Donnie

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a new Estes V2 kit and incorporating an Apogee baffle to replace wadding. The Apogee baffle is basically a coupler with wood bulkheads cut to slow ejection gas long enough to cool. Anyone have any experience with adding steel wool inside a baffle to further reduce heat?
No experience. But, I'm including a baffle in an upcoming Estes Star Orbiter build. Reading an article Apogee put out, it seems like steel wool carries a concern of eventually getting clogged and over-pressurizing the rocket, unless you dig it out and clean it regularly.

Just read this today, lol.

Attachments

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Aerotech models use a plastic baffle with a steel cooling mesh, like a brillo pad. They call it the "Labyrinth" cooling system. It will clog up after a while, especially with the red AT plastic ejection charge canister pieces and ejection residue. One guy made a removeable baffle so he could clean it out using the Estes 29 mm plastic motor retainers. Wish I could find the thread. Only works for rockets with a diameter large enough for you to reach in with your hand though.

https://www.rocketarium.com/Build/Ejection-Baffles/Baffle-29

rharshberger

Reaction score
Qualman Rocketey offers a reasonably priced bafgle kit for a number of LPR tubes, very nice laser cut parts too!

BEC

Reaction score
That's a great recommendation from Rich. I've been a fan of the "cup style" Semroc baffles and used them quite a bit, but I've had then blown out of models with 24mm motors more than once.

That said....the Estes V2 doesn't have a lot a spare length for a baffle. But I see Qualman has a BT-50 baffle which you could put in the top of the stuffer tube....that might be just the ticket. In fact, now that I know that, I will have to plan that for any future Estes V2 build. Right now I just pack wadding in the top of the stuffer tube on the one I'm flying and lay one sheet at the bottom of the full-diameter section and generally that's enough (though not always).

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have been known to use the very coarse stainless steel scourer pads between relevant pieces of thin ply for baffles. Work well.

grouch

Reaction score
I use a cold baffle system on my Viper, doesn’t use steel wool or a scrubber pad and works like a charm. Funny though, I have yet to build another rocket with one for some reason. May need to change that.

greybeard

Reaction score
This is great, I appreciate all of the tips, much to consider. I didn't even think of 'clogging' so the idea of a removable baffle is interesting. Also want to check out Qualman.