Eggtimer

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Jmhepworth, Sep 28, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Sep 28, 2019 #1

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

I want to commend Cris at Eggtimer for the great products and support he provides. I never would have thought that I would be able to assemble one of his kits, but I’m pretty much 10 for 10. The instructions are so good that even someone like me, with no experience soldering, can be successful. I periodically have to ask Cris for some help, and I’ve broken parts but have yet to dork a board. Cris always comes through for me. I suspect I ask too many questions and need too much help that I’m wearing out my welcome. But he shows no sign of that with his timely, polite responses. So if you’re thinking about an Eggtimer product and wonder if you can be successful, I urge you to give it a try. They are not only great products, but there’s a lot of satisfaction when you power it up and the lights blink right and the beeps beep right.

prfesser, Wschmiedlin and Eric like this.
  2. Sep 28, 2019 #2

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

Cris is great, even though I can't even see those little parts:(

3. Sep 28, 2019 #3

prfesser

prfesser

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

I'll chime in. A bit of a challenge to a guy who has a bit of tremor in the hands, but my Quark tested out perfectly. Was gonna use it to fly a rocket at Balls...but somewhere along the 2200 mile drive I lost the nose cone.:(

4. Sep 28, 2019 #4

boatgeek

boatgeek

boatgeek

I have to agree. My soldering skills are Cro-Magnon at best, and I've been able to make everything work. Cris has been very helpful with the stuff I did wrong, too.

5. Sep 28, 2019 #5

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

My soldering skills are improving. I’m not sure I’m to the point where I want to let anyone look very closely. Perhaps I should. The guy in the office next to me is an electrical engineering professor on sabbatical, and I’ve got a couple dozen other EEs who are somewhat impressed that the company attorney is geeky enough to launch rockets and play with electronics. I’ll bet they could offer better guidance than YouTube.

6. Sep 28, 2019 #6

mbeels

mbeels

mbeels

Putting the tree in rocketry TRF Supporter

Yes, his documentation is outstanding, and the products are top notch. Great stuff.

7. Sep 29, 2019 #7

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

I did not want to solder mine also. Sent them off the a guy on here. Did me a get job, several times. Maybe he will chime in if he sees this.

8. Sep 29, 2019 #8

rharshberger

rharshberger

rharshberger

was it Conner aka Conman13? He soes great work at reasonable rates.

9. Sep 29, 2019 #9

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

Jmhepworth

Part of the enjoyment for me is building the kit. I still don’t trust my Eggtimers enough to use them without a commercial altimeter as backup. Not because I don’t trust the quality of the kit, but I know the guy who soldered it. On the other hand, if I can fit two altimeters, I do. And always two from different manufacturers.

Steve Shannon likes this.
  10. Sep 29, 2019 #10

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

David Schwantz

No it was not. I have heard Conman does do excellent work though. I sent mine off to 'Eric. Fast work, very good, everything has worked great.And besides, he also flies Mach One Black Holes :)

11. Sep 29, 2019 #11

tOD

tOD

tOD

Sinking in the quicksand of HPR TRF Supporter

I had an initial glitch with a Quark I built; fired both pyro outputs on power up. Traded a few emails with Cris and the rocket (Mach1 Black Hole) has subsequently flown 2/2.