Eggtimer Rocketry Holiday Sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but wires break with routine jostling over time. True, with the economic prices of Electronics now, one can have a device for every rocket. Yes, for best security a "freshly" soldered together setup is great for that record screamer is perfect for that very first flight. After that the connections will start to get weak, especially if one is transferring the electronics from one rocket to another. Simply pulling a sled out strain the wires especially if they have a hard-wired switch on the switch band. If a wire breaks at a soldered connection, one better make sure they have a vacuum desoldering iron. Worst thing is having a wire break inside the insulation. Whatever one does, do not use a dollop of epoxy over a solder wire joint. Some type of removable glue is preferable.
Terminals can be inspected easily and the wire ends trimmed and freshened up as necessary. Terminals are mandatory for direct wired circuits. The metal eBay lids, with integrated charge holders that have a hole at the base, one can reinforce a plastic charge holder with the match wires coming out the base to be directly wired to the deployment device

With direct solder be prepared to desolder and with terminals be prepared to inspect the terminal wire joints a little more frequently in semi-permanent installations. Kurt

If you solder the wires to the board use stranded wire and zip tie the wires to the sled next to the altimeter and they'll never come loose. The issues that you mention are due to using solid wire, which I strongly recommend against using on a permanent basis. Solid wire IS better for use with terminal blocks, stranded wires can shift and come loose.

If you solder the wires to the board use stranded wire and zip tie the wires to the sled next to the altimeter and they'll never come loose. The issues that you mention are due to using solid wire, which I strongly recommend against using on a permanent basis. Solid wire IS better for use with terminal blocks, stranded wires can shift and come loose.

Careful soldering on a stranded wire can help on the terminal ends but some of this is moot. With the economics of electronics one can have a device for every rocket and minimize transferring from one to the other. The bending of wires to switchbands are at risk. Stupidhead here actually got away with solid wires on
everything until reading about different strategies here. Probably saved me from myself. Either way can work as long as one is familiar with each ones
nuances. I did have a stranded wire break inside of a connection one time but it was in a bench setup for home grown ematch testing. (ie. using the original Marsa4
for getting an idea of ematch resistance!) I gave that up a long time ago. Kurt

Got the remaining parts yesterday (TEN DAYS late, after being shipped UPS 2nd Day...) and kitted them up. Most of the outstanding orders will go out today, thanks again for your patience.

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Got the remaining parts yesterday (TEN DAYS late, after being shipped UPS 2nd Day...) and kitted them up. Most of the outstanding orders will go out today, thanks again for your patience.

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry
Make sure you request your shipping charges refunded for a failed service...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Back