Eggtimer Quasar and Eggfinder GPS issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All-

I have a recently built quasar that is not communicating with my Eggfinder LCD/GPS. The quasar functions normally I can link to it using Wi-Fi and I can see that it connects to 6-9 Satellites at a time, I get all the correct LCD flashes on the quasar, but my eggfinder locks up at the "waiting for Fix" screen and I do not have a green flashing light on the LCD Rx module. I have checked all my solder joints, and believe they are good. I have tried different frequencies with no success. I have linked the LCD/GPS to an eggfinder TX gps with success/good lock and have rechecked that tonight to confirm something didn't happen to the Eggfinder. I have updated the firmware on the quasar. I have armed and tested the outputs on the quasar while doing so left the eggfinder on and near by hoping it would link. I have tried different settings on the LCD... i.e. Tx/mini and quasar, I even tried it in the old TRS setting. I'm at a loss...... I have reached out to Cris but realize he is busy and am patently waiting for a reply. I figured I would come here in the meantime.

TRF do your thing..... what am I missing.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for an email... can't find it. Usually I respond to these the same day...

Did you try it outdoors? You will not get a fix indoors, most likely.

Do you have a jumper on the RUN pins?

If you turn it on and DON'T connect to it via WiFi, it will send GPS data over the radio, and you should see the red light on the RF module blink about once per second. If you do not see that, then you have a bad solder joint on the RF module or on the WiFi processor (it goes through the processor before it goes over the radio).

If it IS blinking red, do you get any sound out of the LCD receiver? It should be making a "beep-beep" about every 3 seconds, and the green light on the receiver's RF module should be blinking in sync with the red one on the Quasar. If it's not, then either they're not on the same frequency/id, or you have another issue with the LCD receiver.

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Make the LCD is programmed with the proper version of software - Either the 900 MHz or the 70cm HAM band software. I helped a friend with a connection issue and this was the issue (wrong software was flashed onto the LCD)

And to second what Chris said above, make sure you have the same channel / frequency selected on both the LCD and the Quasar.

Looking for an email... can't find it. Usually I respond to these the same day...

If you turn it on and DON'T connect to it via WiFi, it will send GPS data over the radio, and you should see the red light on the RF module blink about once per second. If you do not see that, then you have a bad solder joint on the RF module or on the WiFi processor (it goes through the processor before it goes over the radio).

If it IS blinking red, do you get any sound out of the LCD receiver? It should be making a "beep-beep" about every 3 seconds, and the green light on the receiver's RF module should be blinking in sync with the red one on the Quasar. If it's not, then either they're not on the same frequency/id, or you have another issue with the LCD receiver.

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry
Cris, I have tried it outdoors, Jumper is in the correct spot on the RUN pins. When I do not connect to wifi the RF module blinks 2 long followed by 2 short blinks. It never goes to a 1 second heart beat and the LCD receiver does not get a green light with any beeps. I get the blink on the GPS board but no green light on the LCD Rf board.

Frequency/id are both set to 915/0 I have changed and tried 923/0 and 925/1 on both board/LDC with same results.

I have a bunch of pictures and videos if those would help.

On a separted note. I found the Rf antenna I thought was missed. It was in the bottom of the EZDD rocket box when I ordered all that stuff...... can I send the extra back to you?

Joe

If you take the Quasar outside and wait for the orange LED near the GPS module to start blinking, then connect to the browser page, are you showing a fix on the status screen? Or do you get something else (like "NO GPS" for example...)?

I get a fix. Just booted it up and had a fix on 5 satellites and the orange LED was blinking a steady blink about 1 second apart.

Attachments

• quasar home screen.jpg
    quasar home screen.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 0
So if the orange LED is blinking and you see a fix on the web page, the GPS and the processor chain are working. That leaves the serial output of the processor which goes directly to the RF module.

Check the solder joints on the lower-right of the processor (holding the board with the logos rightside-up), the solder joint on the TX pin of the 3-pin header, and (most importantly) the solder joint on the 4th pad of the RF module (counting from left to right).

So if the orange LED is blinking and you see a fix on the web page, the GPS and the processor chain are working. That leaves the serial output of the processor which goes directly to the RF module.

Check the solder joints on the lower-right of the processor (holding the board with the logos rightside-up), the solder joint on the TX pin of the 3-pin header, and (most importantly) the solder joint on the 4th pad of the RF module (counting from left to right).
these all reference the quasar correct?

Yes, Quasar.

I don't think your issue is with the LCD receiver, because it's not receiving anything. The transmitter has to be working first.

I looked at all the joints and I really cant find an issue. I tried taking some really good photos and maybe you can see something. when I get a chance I will rehit the pads you are talking about.

Attachments

• quasar 1.jpg
    quasar 1.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
  • Quasar 3.jpg
    Quasar 3.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 0
  • quasar 4.jpg
    quasar 4.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Quasar 5.jpg
    Quasar 5.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Quasar 6.jpg
    Quasar 6.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Quasar2.jpg
    Quasar2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Quasar7.jpg
    Quasar7.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
These really look sketch from the photo. Hard to tell for sure due to blurriness, but I'd probably reflow all of those.Screenshot 2024-06-25 14.23.21.png

I blew up the picture of the RF module, Pad #4 is most likely not making contact. Resolder it, after hitting it with some desoldering wick first to remove excess solder. It might not hurt to do all of the pads... 1-4 definitely look a bit sketchy.

Ok desoldered and redid all the pads on the quasar RF module, retouched a few questionable pads on the EEPROM. Moved over to the LCD RF module and hit 2 questionable pads there....... went outside and fired it all up and nothing. Still waiting for fix......

Does the RF module on the Quasar blink?

You just removed the excess solder on the RF module and resoldered it, you didn't try to remove it completely, right?

Rf module on the quasar does blink but the pattern has changed to 1 long 1 short followed by 2 long blinks, then repeat. I did not remove the module. I was trying to not have to reposition it so my process was apply heat to a pad, put the wick on it and then add more heat to flow solder until the wick sucked up most of it up, I then re did the joint with fresh solder. I worked down all 7 pads that way. The processor I re touched and did not remove any solder. Same on the LCD Rf module, just a retouch.

Back