Eggtimer Quark Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am setting up some Eggtimer Quarks to fly with and without terminal blocks. Please share your photos and explain what you used and how you wired it.

I am doing this for both personal growth and education for my club fliers.

Redundant quarks on a Wildman Mach 2 CF. Went with the teriminal blocks and ran ejection charge wires through the bulkhead. Partly to save weight for the high-altitude rocket, partly because there's just not that much room on a 2" bulkhead, partly because this rocket won't see a huge amount of flights. Magnetic switches so no extra holes needed, and option jumpers soldered because I'm leaving nothing to chance. I'm thinking I got the terminal blocks from digikey, do I remember correctly that they don't come with? Stray wire on the bottom is the tracker battery on the other side.
m2 quark.jpg

E25.jpgE26.jpg

Quark and a small battery in a BT55 coupler. The switch is a Fingertech screw switch on the other side of the sled accessed through a vent hole. No switch band, just key marks to keep everything aligned. No terminal blocks either, just a hole for the ematch wire sealed with putty.

Now that I have a 3D printer and am learning how to make parts in Tinkercad, I'm going to redesign the sled so it fits better.

Last edited:
This is a quantum and a quark in a 3in bay. Quantum is primary. Quark and the eggtracker share a battery. Using switches and a pull pin. Uses some tiny terminals (no pic) from lab rat rocketry.
3in quark 1.jpg3 in quark 2.jpg

Last edited:
(Hmmm...I thought I had posted this...)

Old Skool woody wagon...

Here's where I used a Quark for the first time as redundant on my 4" Patriot and it's hooked up to an Eggtimer wifi switch.

IMG_20221201_225707012.jpg

It was a rush build and late add, so layout wasn't ideal (and tbh a bit janky lol), but it worked well. The odd placement was due to the complex wiring needed to hook it to the wifi switch...plus I ran out of wire. :p

Other side with Quantum.
IMG_20221201_225726625.jpg

So Quantum is armed with the handheld Eggfinder RX and then the Quark is armed with my phone linking up to the Wifi switch.

I had a few Quarks made, but this is the first time I've used it and I liked it a lot, so I'll be using it more next season.

I used terminal blocks which I believe I got from Eggtimer. I use the blocks to make it easier to swap out the Quarks and others into different rockets or new builds...easy peasy and looks and works much better imo.

Any specific questions?

(Edit Note: My sled is arranged a bit unusual because it was going into a Patriot that had small rear fins and I was trying to move as much weight forward as possible. Wood pieces were screwed and epoxied.)

Last edited:
This is a quantum and a quark in a 3in bay. Quantum is primary. Quark and the eggtracker share a battery. Using switches and a pull pin. Uses some tiny terminals (no pic) from lab rat rocketry.
How did you connect your matches to the quark?

To anyone that uses the altimeter with without a terminal block install on the quark: How did you wire the matches?

Thanks, guys. I have some old B4 models that are virtually impossible to install a terminal. I want to use them in smaller rockets. I may add a JST connector. I still need to figure out how I am going to mount igniters. I might just twist and tape them.

Thanks, guys. I have some old B4 models that are virtually impossible to install a terminal. I want to use them in smaller rockets. I may add a JST connector. I still need to figure out how I am going to mount igniters. I might just twist and tape them.
The Quark in my woody sled is a B4a. There are small terminal blocks available through Cris and I think I might've bought some from Mouser back before he offered them.

Jst plugs on both accounts for me.
To be clear, for the igniter I have jst plugs leading out of the Quark's terminal blocks and they plug into jst wires going through the bulkhead to a larger terminal block (like the black one you see a bit of in my second woody sled pic) and then I hook up the igniter to the outer terminal blocks after everything is set.

One more photo...I found my other two B4a Quarks (I blame bf hoarding lol). One with block at the bottom and one without at the top. (The top one has a power wire cut for an external kill switch.)

IMG_20221202_173959246.jpg

Last edited:
29mm AV bay.jpgCharge well.jpg

Quark in a 29mm coupler. There is a pull pin switch and twist and tape charges.

How did you connect your matches to the quark?

To anyone that uses the altimeter with without a terminal block install on the quark: How did you wire the matches?
For the 54mm bay, match is straight to the terminal block on the quark. You can probably see the slots and loops on the avbay backing I left for zip ties for routing the match wires up and down. Match wire through an 1/8" hole in the bulkhead then a tiny piece of poster tack to seal it air tight. It's kind of a pain but I don't see myself flying this min dia high altitude bird more than once or twice a year. Battery is soldered in through the mag switches. The 3 conductor leads you see on top are for balance charging.

For the 3in bay (the one you quoted), I soldered leads straight to the Quark (and Quantum). Left a service loop (trailing over the edge of the desk in the picture, before I cut to length) so I could get the bulkheads off, tinned the other end of the wires and put them into these https://www.labratrocketry.com/product-page/electrical-connectors and then the matches connect to those on the other side of the bulkhead. Wish I had a point to attach nearby for a strain relief but do the best I can winding it around the center post (1/4" threaded rod goes through that). Batteries are all JST connectors here.

Here is a Quark with soldered deployment leads. It is installed in an Apogee BT60 AV bay. There was not a lot of room for the terminal block. The deployment leads are Cat5 wire with ring terminals soldered on the ends. I use 6-32 brass screws through the bulkheads with knurled nuts to attach the ematch. This setup has about 20 flights.

20221203_181406.jpg

Back